Assistant Graphic Designer
Department: University Communications and Marketing
Reports to: UCM Senior Graphic Designer
Time Commitment: 40 hours per week
The assistant graphic designer works under the direction of the senior graphic designer, UCM and collaboratively with Communications Team members and clients. This position must conceptualize, design and produce materials for a variety of print and electronic mediums in support of university marketing efforts. In this position, it is important to create clean, effective designs consistent with university image and brand while meeting revolving production deadlines.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Exhibit unfaltering commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agree to support its ideals and practices while employed by the university.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Conceptualize, design and produce print and electronic marketing materials for university clients through clear and effective communication and collaboration with team members, clients, vendors and coworkers.
- Create digital artwork as needed for marketing materials.
- Color correct and/or enhance photography for materials.
- Prepare digital files for printing; package and supply final files to creative vendors and partners.
- Maintain a well-organized digital file system of projects and assets.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related field or equivalent experience in graphic design.
- Customer service orientation.
- Willingness to learn new technology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Strong ability to clearly and effectively communicate with marketing experts such as supervisors, other designers, print houses and vendors, as well as non-designers including peers, students, clients and coworkers in a positive, professional manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrated excellent design ability through the presentation of design work, either via personal or professional website, or by providing a digital portfolio in the form of a PDF.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite CS5 or CS6, with an emphasis in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment, meet production deadlines and prioritize jobs and tasks.
- Knowledge of current design, typography, photography and printing techniques.
- Understanding of printing processes and requirements, print graphic design principles, color theory and principals and print workflow processes.
- Experience in photo color correction and manipulation.
- Basic knowledge and/or training in digital photography, photography manipulation and processing.
- Experience in art directing photo shoots.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in marketing Christian higher education.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading text/designing graphics on a computer screen, accurately decipher color, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 90% of this position’s duties require use of a computer.
- Attendance and punctuality.
Fresno Pacific University provides equal opportunity for employment without regard for race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.