Department: Career Services
Reports to: DIrector of Career Services
Time Commitment: 40+ hours a week
Accepting applications with the possibility of vacancy.
The career counselor assists in the delivery of the Career Services Center's programs and services. The Career Services Center provides comprehensive programs and services to all currently enrolled students, degree completion students and alumni. These services include career counseling, career assessment, career-oriented workshops and class presentations, full-time and part-time job listings, internship and volunteer listings, teaching job search strategies and career related special events. This position requires serving adult learners at the four off campus locations which includes some travel. In addition, fifty percent of this position’s time will be spent providing the full gamut of career services to students enrolled in the university’s STEM program. The career counselor will report to the director of career services. The director of career services reports to the dean of students.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Exhibit unfaltering commitment to the Fresno Pacific University Idea and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the university.
- Be Christ -centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Assist in providing individual career counseling to traditional undergraduate, graduate and adult students and alumni (scheduled appointments).
- Assist in providing career services and career planning for STEM students.
- Participate in STEM meetings with faculty, staff and the dean of the School of Natural Sciences.
- Assist with career-related workshops and conduct class presentations.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends, issues and technology in the field of career development.
- Assist director with development of internships, both full-time and part-time employment and volunteer opportunities.
- Assist in providing career services for adult students at the off-campus centers: North Center, Visalia, Merced and Bakersfield.
- Some weekly travel will be required.
- Assist the director in organizing Career Services Center activities and special events.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Master’s degree in counseling, social work or related field.
- Two or more years of experience in career development and counseling.
- Familiarity with career testing and job search strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working with college students – traditional undergraduate, graduate and adult students.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skill.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of career development theory.
- Familiarity with the proper application of career assessment tools.
- Knowledge of resume development, interviewing strategies and job search skills.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Excellent work ethic and integrity.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated experience with low income, Hispanic or first generation college students.
- Ability to effectively present the positive attributes of Fresno Pacific University, as well as the exciting and expanding fields of math and science.
Fresno Pacific University provides equal opportunity for employment without regard for race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.