Dean of the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Sciences
This dean is one of five academic deans who reports to the university provost. The dean guides the faculty and academic programs of the school and serves on the Dean’s Council, Academic Cabinet and President’s Council sharing in the leadership of the university as a whole. The dean represents the school, its faculty and the university to internal and external constituencies (church, community, educational). The School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Sciences (HRSS) is the largest faculty of five schools within the university. It offers much of the on-campus general education curriculum as well as sixteen traditional undergraduate programs, two degree-completion programs, one graduate program, and the university’s performing arts departments.
- Carry out the educational mission of HRSS consistent with the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
- Articulate and motivate a commitment to the traditional liberal arts, performing arts and professional programs, and actively oversee their development.
- Demonstrate and advocate for a commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarship.
- Represent the school to administration, the university and the outside community.
- Provide leadership of: the school’s assessment of learning outcomes, academic planning and program development; implementation of academic policies and course scheduling; recruitment, development and evaluation of faculty and academic program leadership.
- Chair the HRSS division and School Caucus meetings.
- Work collaboratively with the chairs of the divisions in HRSS to facilitate efficient and effective administration of its academic programs.
- Attend and participate in university and school events and programs (music, theater, art, etc.).
- Prepare and manage the school’s budget.
- Terminal degree in a discipline of the school.
- Successful college/university-level teaching and administrative experience.
- Evidence of scholarly engagement and accomplishment.
- Potential for visionary and innovative leadership of an academic unit, including online education and distributed learning across multiple regional centers.
- Knowledge/appreciation of diverse student populations and faculty.
- Ability to work collaboratively and establish a common vision among faculty, students and fellow administrators.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Appreciation for the role of biblical/theological education, the integration of faith and learning and international educational experiences.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the university’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning
- Involvement in a local church.
- Evidence of engagement in the wider Christian and/or civic community.
- Successful experience with writing and administration of grants for academic and student programs.
- Demonstrated experience supervising diverse staff, faculty or students.
- Membership in the Mennonite Brethren Church or other Anabaptist/Mennonite Church.
Download and complete an application form.
Send a letter of application, a completed administrative application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
- Fresno Pacific University
- Office of the Provost, Box 2006
- 1717 S. Chestnut Avenue Fresno, CA 93702
- OR: email FPUProv@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or physical handicap in its hiring practices. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.