Faculty in Music - Director of Bands and Coordinator of Instrumental Music
Full-time, with faculty rank; continuing status track; 9 month faculty appointment, in the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Sciences.
The music department offers a well-rounded curriculum for students in performance, composition, music education and church music. Excellence in instrumental and choral music has been a tradition at Fresno Pacific University since its inception in 1944 and remains at the heart of the university today.
Applications will be accepted through January 10, 2014.
The successful candidate will lead the Fresno Pacific University undergraduate band program. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Recruit, build and direct the FPU Symphonic Band;
- Conduct additional ensemble(s) according to candidate’s qualifications and interests; possible ensembles include Jazz Band, Brass Choir, Woodwind Ensemble and Pep Band;
- Teach private lessons, instrumental techniques, music education or music appreciation courses depending on qualifications and interests;
- Oversee instrumental adjunct private lesson instructors;
- Advise instrumental music performance majors and minors;
- Recruit high school and community college students for all collegiate instrumental ensembles;
- Continue to build and develop relationships with high school directors, music educators, community colleges and churches throughout the California Central Valley;
- Participate and serve in departmental and university activities and committees.
- Terminal degree in an appropriate field; candidates with a master’s degree and significant teaching or professional performance experience may also be considered;
- Experience in, or aptitude for, college-level teaching with demonstrated excellence in the areas of directing instrumental groups at the secondary or collegiate level;
- Record or promise of scholarly and/or professional achievement;
- Ability to mentor and advise music majors (as well as general education students);
- Evidence of successful recruitment and retention of students in instrumental programs;
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment;
- Ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the university’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
Download and complete an application form. Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
- Rod Janzen, Ed.D.
- Fresno Pacific University
- School of HRSS, Box 2301
- 1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
- Fresno, CA 93702
- Or email: FPUProv@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or physical handicap in its hiring practices. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.