Faculty & Site Director in Special Education: Merced
Part or full-time (TBD) with faculty rank, non-continuing status track (non-tenure), 11-month faculty appointment in the School of Education.
The special education program at Fresno Pacific University offers preliminary and level II education specialist credentials in mild moderate, moderate/severe, physical and health impairments, and early childhood special education. Additionally, the program offers certificates in early childhood and autism, and added authorizations in resource specialist and autism as well as a Master of Arts in Special Education. It is anticipated that the education specialist clear and emotional disturbance added authorizations will be offered beginning fall 2014. The program graduates are well prepared and highly desired in the educational community in California’s Central Valley.
Assume leadership for all special education activities at the Merced Center including:
- Assume final administrative responsibility, with accompanying authority, for the special education functions at the Merced Center;
- Work collaboratively with other site directors to provide and maintain uniform policies and procedures;
- Maintain an understanding of changes in state and federal legislation that affect the program;
- Attend state conferences that update trends and pending legislation;
- Manage site budget;
- Oversee advising of prospective candidates to special education programs;
- Work alongside university personnel to recruit students to the program;
- Work collaboratively with the director of teacher education at the center to support the dual credential program;
- Counsel students with issues or concerns;
- Oversee student exit interviews;
- Chair the advisory council;
- Develop and sustain relationships with local schools and other educational agencies for the purpose of fostering high quality student teaching placements and building school partnerships;
- Oversee advising of admitted candidates in special education programs at the site;
- Recruit, support, monitor and collaborate with adjunct teaching faculty;
- Assume final approval for admission of students into program;
- Assume final approval for practicum and internship placements;
- Recruit, support and work with adjunct supervising faculty;
- Troubleshoot issues related to student registration, student accounts, and financial aid.
- Earned terminal degree in appropriate field of study (candidates with a master’s degree, or those nearing terminal degree completion, may be considered); all faculty are required to have, or be willing to complete, a terminal degree.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- California education specialist credential preferred, out of state credential considered;
- Experience in program specific special education classroom, birth – age 22;
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment;
- Ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds;
- Information-oriented computer skills;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the university’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Understanding of issues pertaining to the relationship between special education services and the Christian faith;
- Special education program leadership;
- Successful experience working with adult students and/or successful recruitment and retention of students in educational programs.
Download and complete a faculty application. (Use a browser other than Firefox to open a writable application.)
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vitae, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
- Gary Gramenz, Ph.D.
- Fresno Pacific University
- School of Education, Box 2001
- 1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
- Fresno, CA 93702
- Or email: FPUProv@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or physical handicap in its hiring practices. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.