Faculty in Sociology
Full-time, with faculty rank; continuing status track; 9 month faculty appointment in the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science.
Sociology is a vibrant major situated within the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Sciences at Fresno Pacific University. University faculty members are known for engagement with students and communities. The sociology program encourages scholarly research that challenges and empowers students to engage with people who are at-risk, underserved or marginalized.
The department of sociology is looking for applicants with skills and interest consistent with undergraduate instruction at a regional masters level university. The program seeks to provide students with an understanding of human behavior, social interactions and group processes. The program is cross-cultural in nature and purposefully informed by an anthropological perspective. The faculty member is expected to direct the program, teach in sociology and general education programs, actively mentor and advise sociology undergraduate majors and provide students with research opportunities. The successful candidate will demonstrate commitment to departmental, university and community service.
- Ph.D. in sociology; advanced doctoral candidate may be considered;
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement;
- Desire to mentor undergraduate research in discipline;
- Commitment to undergraduate instruction;
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment;
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the university’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Ability to teach adults in degree completion program;
- Ability to teach and guide criminology students;
- Commitment to dialogue between sociology and Christian faith;
- Demonstrated college-level teaching ability.
Download and complete an application form.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vitae, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
- Rod Janzen, Ph.D.
- Fresno Pacific University
- School of HRSS, Box 2301
- 1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
- Fresno, CA 93702
- Or email: FPUProv@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or physical handicap in its hiring practices. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.