Financial Aid Counselor
Department: Financial Aid
Reports to: Director of Financial Aid
Time Commitment: 40 hours per week
- Uphold the "Founded on Christ" Fresno Pacific University mission at all times.
- Exhibit continuous commitment to the The Fresno Pacific Idea and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the university.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Represent the university and manage a professional and active relationship with various schools, departments, and regional centers to understand the university’s unique needs.
- Conduct financial aid need analysis and determine student eligibility accurately.
- Communicate and review award notification with student and parents specific to financial aid.
- Perform financial aid verification on file selected by the department of education.
- Conduct pre-advising in a workshop setting or pre-appointments.
- Present at large and small workshop settings during regular hours, evenings and occasional weekends.
- Travel is also required for this position as it is designated to support the Merced, North Fresno, Bakersfield and Visalia regional centers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment; must include Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership with demonstrated capacity to think strategically.
- Willingness to work a non-traditional, flexible schedule as needed.
- Willingness to attend regional and national trainings.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to respond to emotional employee situations in a calming and resilient manner.
- Team player with ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Valid California driver’s license and ability to drive to various appointments.
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish and English.
- Experience in financial aid.
- Experience with Datatel.
- Educational or work experience in Christian college or university.
- Membership in a Mennonite Brethren Church.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least eighty percent (80%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Drive personal vehicle to centers, typically no longer than two hours from the office.
- Public contact position requiring business-like apparel.
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Mobility within the office. Ability to walk, sit, stand and climb stairs. Ability to use hands and fingers, to handle office equipment, records and files. Occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel or crouch. Vision abilities required by this job include the ability to read and discern written errors on paper and electronic documents. Ability to talk and hear. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Ability to drive a vehicle.
Fresno Pacific University provides equal opportunity for employment without regard for race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.