Prior Learning Assessment Coordinator
Department: Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Coordinator
Reports to: Degree Completion
Time Commitment: 10 hours per week
The prior learning assessment (PLA) coordinator is responsible for maintaining familiarity with the PLA 201 syllabus, the PLA fact sheets and the PLA catalog copy. The PLA coordinator is familiar with all of the PLA guidelines, and serves as students’ primary point of contact regarding PLA portfolio process, including an initial determination about whether specific topical areas fall within FPU’s fields of expertise. A roster of qualified faculty portfolio reviewers is maintained in the Office of Degree Completion, and the PLA coordinator regularly obtains updated rosters for reference and portfolio assignment. When portfolios are submitted, the PLA coordinator distributes them to appropriate faculty reviewers and tracks the review through, finalizing it in the Registrar’s Office . Under special contracting arrangements, the PLA coordinator schedules, organizes and delivers regular faculty training seminars for PLA assessment purposes. In addition, the PLA coordinator contracts to provide information meetings for admissions and academic advisors to encourage their familiarity with how this option provides significant benefits to the student. Assessment data is collected by the PLA coordinator, with particular attention to PLA students’ retention, completion and academic success compared to non-PLA students. The PLA coordinator maintains familiarity with this data and recommends modifications to increase student participation and success. In addition, the PLA coordinator ensures that academic content is regularly reviewed by core faculty in HRSS through program review or other means.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Continuous commitment to The Fresno Pacific University Idea and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the university.
- Be Christ -centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Determine if students’ portfolio topics fall within FPU faculty expertise and availability.
- Review the portfolio structure and content prior to faculty review and assessment.
- Distribute incoming portfolios to faculty and track the process.
- Send final assessment results, including number of earned units, to the Registrar’s Office.
- Collect portfolio scoring rubrics for academic content quality review.
- Offer faculty and staff training by separate contracts.
- Recommend modifications to increase student participation and success.
- Utilize technology tools to process the students’ portfolios, faculty’s evaluations and registrar’s functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience necessary.
- Perform specialized training for standard core software, security awareness and newly implemented technologies.
- Must be able to handle and work with interruptions during normal office hours.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation and the ability to handle multiple proprieties and complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 90% of this position’s duties require use of a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Fresno Pacific University provides equal opportunity for employment without regard for race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.