Undergraduate Admissions Counselor for Outreach and Diversity
Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Reports to: Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Time Commitment: 40 hours per week
The undergraduate admissions counselor for outreach and diversity assists with the recruitment of new freshmen and transfer students within a designated geographical region. This person is an active member of the recruitment team for Fresno Pacific University’s undergraduate academic programs. In addition, this person establishes goals and implements and evaluates current programs and communications for diversity and first generation recruitment.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Continuous commitment to The Fresno Pacific University Idea and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the university.
- Be Christ -centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Revise and implement admissions outreach and recruitment development with a particular emphasis on under-represented populations and first-generation students.
- Make local and extended recruitment visits to high schools, community colleges, college fairs and churches.
- Plan and host diverse on-campus groups.
- Write correspondence and tele-counsel with prospective students and applicants.
- Make recommendations and decisions regarding acceptance.
- Participate in recruitment and new student registration events.
- Initiate and maintain contact with regional high school and community college counselors, local non-profit organizations and church leaders.
- Work with the director to ensure that the university is meeting its goals to enroll a diverse class.
- Work closely with the Office of the Registrar and Student Financial Services to communicate academic evaluations and financial aid programs to prospective students.
- Update prospective student information in the admissions database system.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the university.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience or knowledge in public relations or marketing.
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Word and Excel.
- Ability to learn new technology.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Strong time-management skills.
- Ability to travel, including occasional overnight trips.
- Ability to work evenings.
- Ability to communicate fluently in both Spanish and English.
- Educational or work experience in a Christian college or university.
- Demonstrated experience with low income, Hispanic or first generation college students.
- Ability to effectively present the positive attributes of Fresno Pacific University.
- Experience with school counseling or college admissions.
- Familiarity with Mennonite Brethren Church.
- Indoor work environment.
- Perform the following, with or without reasonable accommodation: stand, sit, kneel, stoop, reach, lift, grasp, finger, see (near and far) for reading and data analysis on a computer screen, hear and talk for ordinary conversation and telephone calls.
- Perform analytical and cognitive thinking and decision making.
- Approximately 70% of this position’s duties require use of a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Travel alone between campuses.
- Based on the main campus of Fresno Pacific University.
Fresno Pacific University provides equal opportunity for employment without regard for race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.