Darin D. Lenz, Ph.D.
Share why you teach at FPU
Fresno Pacific University has a thriving history program that helps students succeed so that they can achieve their career goals.
- History of Christianity since the Reformation
- Pietism and evangelicalism
- Missions history
- Christianity and war
- World history
Professional and Service Experience
2006-2011, Assistant Professor, Northwest University (WA)
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2009
- Stowe Research Fellowship in Mission History, Yale Divinity School, 2011
- Summer Seminar in Military History, USMA, West Point, 2011
- Provost's Grant, 2012
- American Society of Church History
- Conference on Faith and History
- Ecclesiastical History Society (U.K.)
- Royal Historical Society (U.K.)
Publications and Presentations
- "‘St.Mark of Calcutta’ and Assemblies of God Medical Missions in India,” in The Healing Touch: A History of the Medical Missions in Asia and Africa, 18th to 20th Centuries, edited by Sandeep Sinha, New Delhi, India (forthcoming).
- “‘Visions on the Battlefields’: Alexander A. Boddy, Early British Pentecostalism, and the First World War, 1914-1918,” in The Journal of Religious History 32, no. 3 (September 2008): 281-302.
- “History, Theology, and Interpretation: The Ephrata Cloister, A Case Study in Public History,” in Concept: Graduate Journal of Interdisciplinary Research 26 (Spring 2003): 67-88.
Encyclopedia/ Reference Works:
- “Christendom beyond the West [A.D. 1000-1500],” and “Bar Hebreaus” in World History Encyclopedia, edited by Alfred J. Andrea, Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2011.
- “Missions (of California),” in Encyclopedia of the Early Republic and Antebellum America, edited by Christopher Bates, Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2010.
- “George Muller,” in Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, edited by George Thomas Kurian and James D. Smith III, Lanham, MD: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2009.
- “Social Gospel,” in Encyclopedia of the Jazz Age, edited by James Ciment. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2008.
- Review of Victorian Religious Revivals: Culture and Piety in Local and Global Contexts by David Bebbington, Religious Studies Review 39, no. 2 (June 2013): 117-118·
- Review of The Paper War: Morality, Print Culture, and Power in Colonial New South Wales by Anna Johnston, Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture 82, no. 2 (June 2013): 481-482·
- Review of The Chaplains of the East India Company, 1601-1858 by Daniel O'Connor, International Bulletin of Missionary Research (October 2012): 222-223.
- Review of Dissenting Praise: Religious Dissentand the Hymn in England and Wales edited by Isabel Rivers and David L.Wykes, Religious Studies Review 38, no. 3 (September 2012): 180.
- Review of A People of One Book: The Victorians and the Bible by Timothy Larsen, Religious Studies Review 38, no. 1 (March 2012): 27-28.
- Review of T&T Clark Companion to Methodism, edited by Charles Yrigoyen, Jr., in Religious Studies Review, 37, no. 2 (June 2011): 144.
- Review of Andrew Schulze: Lutherans and Race in the Civil Rights Era by Kathryn M. Galchutt, in Religious Studies Review 33, no. 4 (October 2007): 330.
- Review of Can God and Caesar Coexist? Balancing Religious Freedom and International Law by Robert F. Drinan, S.J., in Fides et Historia 37:2/38:1 (Summer/Fall 2005; Winter/Spring 2006): 287-288.
- Review of The Protestant Interest: New England After Puritanism by Thomas S. Kidd, in Fides et Historia 37:2/38:1 (Summer/Fall 2005; Winter/Spring 2006): 256-257.
- Review of Our God is One: The Story of Oneness Pentecostals by Talmadge French, in Pneuma 26, no. 1 (Fall 2004): 381-383.
- "'St. Mark of Calcutta' and the Pragmatic Spirit in Pentecostal Medical Missions," Health Healing, and Medicine in the History of Christian Missions and World Christianity, Yale-Edinburgh Group on the History of the Missionary Movement and World Christianity, June 28, 2013
- "Do Evangelicals Have Saints?" FPU Faculty Seminar Series, February 22, 2012
- "'A Particular Charm': The Story of George Müller of Bristol in Mid-Nineteenth Century America," ourth International Brethren History Conference, Carberry Tower, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 9, 2009