Darin D. Lenz, Ph.D.
Share why you teach at FPU
Fresno Pacific University has a thriving history program that helps students succeed so that they can achieve their career goals.
- Social history of Christianity since the Reformation
- Religion and war
- Long nineteenth century American history
- British Empire
- Public history
- World history
Professional and Service Experience
2006-2011, Assistant Professor, Northwest University (WA)
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2009
- Stowe Research Fellowship in Mission History, Yale Divinity School, 2011
- Fellow, Summer Seminar in Military History, USMA, West Point, 2011
- Provost's Grant, 2012
- American Society of Church History
- Conference on Faith and History
- Ecclesiastical History Society (U.K.)
- Royal Historical Society (U.K.)
Publications and Presentations
- “‘A Peculiar Charm’: The Story of George Müller of Bristol in Mid-Nineteenth Century America,” in Culture, Spirituality, and the Brethren, edited by Neil T. R. Dickson and Thomas J. Marinello (Scotland: BAHN, 2014), 277-290.
- “‘Loyalty to our Heavenly Country’: British Christianity and the First World War,” in Remembering Armageddon: Religion and the First World War, edited by Philip Jenkins (Waco, TX: ISR Books, forthcoming).
- “‘Visions on the Battlefields’: Alexander A. Boddy, Early British Pentecostalism, and the First World War, 1914-1918,” in The Journal of Religious History 32, no. 3 (September 2008): 281-302.
- “History, Theology, and Interpretation: The Ephrata Cloister, A Case Study in Public History,” in Concept: Graduate Journal of Interdisciplinary Research 26 (Spring 2003): 67-88.
Encyclopedia/ Reference Works:
- “Christendom beyond the West [A.D. 1000-1500],” and “Bar Hebreaus” in World History Encyclopedia, edited by Alfred J. Andrea, Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2011.
- “Missions (of California),” in Encyclopedia of the Early Republic and Antebellum America, edited by Christopher Bates, Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2010.
- “George Muller,” in Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, edited by George Thomas Kurian and James D. Smith III, Lanham, MD: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2009.
- “Social Gospel,” in Encyclopedia of the Jazz Age, edited by James Ciment. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2008.
- Reviews appear in the following journals: Church History, Religious Studies Review, International Bulletin of Missionary Research, Fides et Historia, and Pneuma
- “The Historian as Missionary: Reflecting on the Life and Work of Kenneth Scott Latourette,” Conference on Faith and History Biennial Conference, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA, September 25, 2014
- “‘Citizens of the World’: Nationalism, Ecumenical Missions, and the Idea of World Unity before the First World War,” Panel on Religious Globalization the 20th century: Theory and Practice of the Oikoumene, Fourth European Congress on World and Global History, École normale supérieure, Paris, France, September 5, 2014
- “‘Loyalty to our Heavenly Country’: British Christianity and the First World War,” Remembering WWI, Baylor University Symposium sponsored by the Institute for Studies of Religion, Baylor University, Waco, TX, March 19, 2014
- "'St. Mark of Calcutta' and the Pragmatic Spirit in Pentecostal Medical Missions," Health Healing, and Medicine in the History of Christian Missions and World Christianity, Meeting of the Yale-Edinburgh Group on the History of the Missionary Movement and World Christianity, Yale Divinity School, New Haven, CT, June 28, 2013
- "'A Particular Charm': The Story of George Müller of Bristol in Mid-Nineteenth Century America," Fourth International Brethren History Conference, Carberry Tower, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 9, 2009