- Bruce Boeckel
- Donna Callahan
- Greg Camp
- Darren Duerksen
- Larry Dunn
- Zachary Durlam
- Fran Martens Friesen
- Kenneth Martens Friesen
- Milt Friesen
- Wayne Huber
- Chris Janzen
- Rod Janzen
- Chandra Johnson
- Marshall Johnston
- Pamela Johnston
- Bret Kincaid
- Quentin Kinnison
- Elizabeth Lake
- Darin Lenz
- Rebecca McMillen
- Tim Neufeld
- Eleanor Nickel
- Gina Ponce de Leon
- Jay Pope
- Julia Reimer
- Duane Ruth-Heffelbower
- Deborah Sauer-Ferrand
- Walter Saul
- Laura Schmidt Roberts
- Jill Schellenberg
- Ryan Schellenberg
- Adam Schrag
- Brian Schultz
- Cheryl Smith
- Peter Smith
- James Van Slyke
- Billie Jean Wiebe
- Richard Wiebe
- Sandie Woods
- Dieter Wulfhorst
Darin D. Lenz, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History
McDonald Hall, Room 255
Ph.D., Kansas State University
M.A., Villanova University
M.A., Assemblies of God Theological Seminary
B.A., California State University, Bakersfield
Share why you teach at FPU
Fresno Pacific University has a thriving history program that helps students succeed so that they can achieve their career goals.
- History of Christianity since the Reformation
- Pietism and evangelicalism
- Missions history
- Christianity and war
- World history
Professional and Service Experience
2006-2011, Assistant Professor, Northwest University (WA)
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2009
- Stowe Research Fellowship in Mission History, Yale Divinity School, 2011
- Summer Seminar in Military History, USMA, West Point, 2011
- Provost's Grant, 2012
- American Society of Church History
- Conference on Faith and History
- Ecclesiastical History Society (U.K.)
- Royal Historical Society (U.K.)
- Yale - Edinburgh Group on the History of the Missionary Movement and World Christianity
Publications and Presentations
- "‘St.Mark of Calcutta’ and Assemblies of God Medical Missions in India,” in The Healing Touch: A History of the Medical Missions in Asia and Africa, 18th to 20th Centuries, edited by Sandeep Sinha, New Delhi, India (forthcoming).
- “‘Visions on the Battlefields’: Alexander A. Boddy, Early British Pentecostalism, and the First World War, 1914-1918,” in The Journal of Religious History 32, no. 3 (September 2008): 281-302.
- “History, Theology, and Interpretation: The Ephrata Cloister, A Case Study in Public History,” in Concept: Graduate Journal of Interdisciplinary Research 26 (Spring 2003): 67-88.
Encyclopedia/ Reference Works:
- “Christendom beyond the West [A.D. 1000-1500],” and “Bar Hebreaus” in World History Encyclopedia, edited by Alfred J. Andrea, Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2011.
- “Missions (of California),” in Encyclopedia of the Early Republic and Antebellum America, edited by Christopher Bates, Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2010.
- “George Muller,” in Encyclopedia of Christian Literature, edited by George Thomas Kurian and James D. Smith III, Lanham, MD: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2009.
- “Social Gospel,” in Encyclopedia of the Jazz Age, edited by James Ciment. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2008.
- Review of Victorian Religious Revivals: Culture and Piety in Local and Global Contexts by David Bebbington, Religious Studies Review (forthcoming)·
- Review of The Paper War: Morality, Print Culture, and Power in Colonial New South Wales by Anna Johnston, Church History: Studies in Christianity and Culture (forthcoming, June 2013)·
- Review of The Chaplains of the East India Company, 1601-1858 by Daniel O'Connor, International Bulletin of Missionary Research (October 2012): 222-223.
- Review of Dissenting Praise: Religious Dissentand the Hymn in England and Wales edited by Isabel Rivers and David L.Wykes, Religious Studies Review 38, no. 3 (September 2012): 180.
- Review of A People of One Book: The Victorians and the Bible by Timothy Larsen, Religious Studies Review 38, no. 1 (March 2012): 27-28.
- Review of T&T Clark Companion to Methodism, edited by Charles Yrigoyen, Jr., in Religious Studies Review, 37, no. 2 (June 2011): 144.
- Review of Andrew Schulze: Lutherans and Race in the Civil Rights Era by Kathryn M. Galchutt, in Religious Studies Review 33, no. 4 (October 2007): 330.
- Review of Can God and Caesar Coexist? Balancing Religious Freedom and International Law by Robert F. Drinan, S.J., in Fides et Historia 37:2/38:1 (Summer/Fall 2005; Winter/Spring 2006): 287-288.
- Review of The Protestant Interest: New England After Puritanism by Thomas S. Kidd, in Fides et Historia 37:2/38:1 (Summer/Fall 2005; Winter/Spring 2006): 256-257.
- Review of Our God is One: The Story of Oneness Pentecostals by Talmadge French, in Pneuma 26, no. 1 (Fall 2004): 381-383.