Delores Friesen, Ph.D.
I like to speak and lead workshops and retreats on a variety of topics. My interests besides work include creative writing, growing roses, international ministry and travel.
Professional and Service Experience
I am trained in the Systems Approach, with an eye towards prevention and holistic health. I love to encourage students to read and access resources in the community and library. Children remain an important part of my life and counseling practice. I began my teaching career in grades 4-6, then spent 13 years as a missionary in West Africa, where I taught in three theological schools, African independent churches and other adult education settings.
In addition, my ministry and counseling experience includes seven years as resource minister in a congregation, two years as a counselor in the athletic department at the University of Iowa, and counseling practica in an elementary school setting and a family counseling center. I have also worked as a student chaplain at the University of Iowa Medical Center for one year. I am a licensed marriage and family therapist with specialties in aging, grief, sexuality, and marriage and family issues. I seek to integrate my faith and my practical, caring style with the cultural and family context of my clients. I am a certified CAMFT supervisor.
I served twelve years as a member of the board of directors of MB Missions and Service International. My 2001 sabbatical was spent in ten African countries, researching how the church might become more involved in service and advocacy to those affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
Publications and Presentations
- Living More with Less Study/Action Guide, published by Alternatives for Simple Living, 1999
- Let Love Be Your Greatest: A Study Guide to Happy Marriage, published by Editions Trobisch, 1979
Chapters in the following books:
- "The Gift Restored, The Gift: Further Study," Sexuality: The Gift, edited by Anne Krabill Hershberger, 2010
- Mennonite Perspectives on Pastoral Counseling, by Daniel Schipani, 2007
- "Peace Education and Conflict Resolution," Healing the Children of War, by Phyllis Kilbourn, 1997
- "How Can We Help Children Respond to Injustice?" Growing Towards Peace, by Kathyrn Aschliman (Ed.), 1993
I have edited:
- All Are Witnesses: A Collection of Sermons by Mennonite Brethren Women, Kindred Productions, 1996
I am married to J. Stanley Friesen, a pastor and an adjunct professor. We are the parents of three adult children and six grandchildren.