What programs do you teach in?
- Teacher Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Center for Professional Development
- Teacher education—reading, English Language Development (ELD) and Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE)
- Closing the achievement gap in all schools
- Teaching academic English
- Success of English learners in schools
Professional and Service Experience
I have been invited to present at national, state and local conferences and school districts in subject areas relating to the success of English learners in school. I am a representative of the Fresno Paicifc University Diversity Advisory Committee.
Honors and Awards
Finalist for Clovis Unified School District Teacher of the Year award, 1999
- American Association of Colleges for Teachers Education (AACTE)
- Independent California Colleges and Universities Council on Teacher Education (ICCUCET), past Central Valley representative
- California Council of Teacher Education (CCTE)
- California Association of Billingual Education (CABE)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
I feel honored to have been mentored by Yvonne Freeman, prolific writer and advocate for English learners who worked for Fresno Pacific University many years as a professor of Language, Literacy and Culture. I co-authored a book and several articles with Sandra Mercuri, also a past professor at Fresno Pacific University. My focus shifted naturally to teaching preservice candidates when I became the Director of Multiple Subjects, but my passion has always been to show those gifted to teach how to embed strategies for English learners and students of poverty. I currently devote my time to teaching.
Publications and Presentations
- Research-Based Strategies for English Language Learners: How to Reach Goals and Meet Standards, K-8, with Sandra Mercuri, published by Heinemann, 2006. Currently in its 7th printing.
- "Reframing Instruction," with Sandra Mercuri in Language Magazine: The Journal of Communication and Education, March 2005
- "Scaffolding and Contextualizing: Reading for Real with English Learners," with Sandra Mercuri in Spotlight on Comprehension: Building a Literacy of Thoughtfulness, edited by Linda Hoyt, published by Heinemann, 2004
- "Language, Literacy, and Cultural Support for Hmong Language Learners," master's project, Fresno Pacific University, Fresno, CA, 1996