Share why you teach at FPU
Teaching at FPU gives me the best of two of my greatest passions: My love for Jesus Christ and my gift of exhortation. When I am able to work with students, giving of myself to help them achieve higher than they ever thought possible and can freely share my belief in the awesomeness of God, then I am living out the life I believe He has planned for me.
- Special education
- Emotional disturbance in adolescents
- Stigma and mental illness
Professional and Service Experience
- Multiple Subjects Professional Clear Credential
- Special Education Specialist Credential
- Resource Specialist Certificate of Competency
- Clear Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development Certificate
- Preliminary Administrative Services Authorization Certificate
- MFT Trainee Intern at Fresno Behavioral Health Care Center, Fresno, 2006
- Special Education Surrogate Parent Clovis Unified School District, 1992 - 1996
Honors and Awards
- Paul Douglas Teaching Scholarship
- Organization Development Network
- Mental Health America of the Central Valley
- Council for Exceptional Children
With almost 20 years as an educator in Fresno Unified School District, I have taught students from grades kindergarten through twelfth grade in the general education classroom, resource specialist program, special day class—learning disabled students and emotionally disturbed students as well—and as a special education case manager at the high school level. My diverse abilities and knowledge of primary and secondary education gives me a unique vantage point from which to view my students’ progression to post-secondary education.
As a graduate of the University of California at Irvine, I went on to earn multiple teaching credentials at California State University, Fresno. I furthered my knowledgebase of emotional disturbance in teens by earning a master’s degree in counseling psychology at National University and am currently “racing to the top” with my knowledge of organizational psychology by studying organization development at the California School of Professional Psychology; I am a candidate to graduate with my Psy.D. in December, 2012.
Publications and Presentations
- "Mental Illness and 'Coming Out' in the Workplace," dissertation
I am the daughter of a retired teacher and the mother of three daughters who are in college; a senior at CSU Fresno, and a sophomore and a freshman at Fresno Pacific University. I am currently attending “Common Ground” at Butler MB Church.