René Mendel Lebsock
- Reading and writing development
- Early literacy
- Effective teaching practices
Honors and Awards
Outstanding Teacher of Writing, 1988, Fresno Area Council of Teachers of English
National Council of Teachers of English
I have been active in education for over 20 years. As a classroom teacher, I taught kindergarten and first grade. I also established, The Reading Connection, a tutoring business for grades K-12 and developed a widely used video entitled, "A Class of Authors." The video shows my class of pre-first graders as they engage in meaningful writing experiences.
I have also been involved in children's ministry for many years, first at Fresno Evangelical Free Church and now at Northwest Church.
For the past 11 years, I have been a faculty mentor and instructor for FPU's teacher education courses. In 2006, I became a full-time faculty member.
Publications and Presentations
- "Does speeding make good reading?" in FPU Scholars Speak, March 25, 2008
- "Why Don't Some Children Love to Read," in The Fresno Bee, 2007
- "Why doesn't my child like to read?" in FPU Scholars Speak, Sept. 17, 2007
- "A Comparison of Oral and Written Language," master's thesis, 1993