Steve Pauls, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, Kansas University, 1997
M.S., Physical Chemistry, Indiana University, 1990
B.S., Chemistry and Physics, Bethel College, Kansas, 1988
- Newscientist (British Weekly)
- Technology Review
- Journal of Chemical Education
- Make Magazine
Professional and Service Experience
- Mathematica Workshop, Fresno Pacific University, 2009
- Southeastern ACS Regional Meeting, Cincinnati, OH, 2000
- Innovative Science for Non-Majors, ACS Workshop, San Antonio, TX - 2000
- NMR Workshop - Regional, Centre College, Danville, KY 1998
- Spartan Molecular Workshop - Regional, Centre College, Danville, KY, 1997
- American Physical Society-National Meeting, Kansas City, MO, 1997
- “TPE of Perylene a Rotational Study,” API - National Meeting, Kansas City, KS, 1997
- Rocky Mountain Symposium on Photons and Chemistry, Estes Park, CO, 1996
- Fluorescence Spectroscopy Conference, Baltimore, MD, 1996
- “TPE of Perylene in Alcohols,” Rocky Mountain Symposium, Estes Park, CO, 1996
- “bR in a Low-Temperature Glass,” ACS - Midwest Regional Meeting, Omaha, NE, 1992
Honors and Awards
- Petroleum Research Fund Summer Grant, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2001
- Integrative Technology Grant, Centre College, Danville, KY, 2000
- Proctor & Gamble Travel Award, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1995
- Bailey-Phillips Fellowship, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, 1992
- Excellence Beyond the Classroom Award, Tabor College, Hillsboro, KS, 1991
- First year fellowship graduate student fellowship, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1988
- NORCUS Summer Appointment, National Pacific Northwest Labs, Richland, WA, 1987
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Society
Publications and Presentations
- "Improved Ground State Structures of Jet Cooled Germylidene (H2C=Ge) by LIF Emission Spectroscopy," D.A. Hostutler, S.W. Pauls, & D.J. Clouthier, (Accepted summer 2001, J. Chem. Phys.).
- "Emission Spectroscopy, Harmonic Vibrational Frequencies, and Improved Ground State Structures of Jet-Cooled Monochloro- and Monobromosilylene," D.A. Hostutler, S.W. Pauls, N. Ndiege, & D.J. Clouthier, (Accepted June 5, 2001, J. Chem. Phys.).
- "Exciplex Formation in Complexes Between Cyclophane Hosts and Aromatic Guests: Evidence that the Ground-State Complexes Exist in More Than One Distinct Geometry," David R. Benson, Jiaying Fu, Carey K. Johnson, Steven W. Pauls, & David A. Williamson, J. Org. Chem. 63, 9935-9945 (1998).
- "Rotational Relaxation of Perylene in n-Alcohols and n-Alkanes Studied by Two-Photon Induced Anisotropy Decay," S.W. Pauls, J. F. Hedstrom, and C.K. Johnson, Chem. Phys., 237, 205-222 (1998).
- "Anisotropy Decays Induced by Two-Photon Excitation," C.K. Johnson, C.Z. Wan, and S.W. Pauls, contributed to Topics in Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Vol. 5, Multiphoton Excitation and Light Quenching, J.R. Lakowicz, (invited book chapter) 1998.
- "Tyrosyl Fluorescence Decays of Rotational Dynamics in Tyrosine Monomers and in Dipeptides," G.S. Harms, S.W. Pauls, J.F. Hedstrom, and C.K. Johnson, J. Fluoresc. 7, 273-282 (1997).
- "Fluorescence and Rotational Dynamics of Dityrosine," G.S. Harms, S.W. Pauls, J.F. Hedstrom, and C.K. Johnson, J. Fluoresc., 7, 283-292 (1997).
- "Influence of Temperature and Viscosity on Anthracene Rotational Diffusion in Organic Solvents: Molecular Dynamics Simulations and Fluorescence Anisotropy Study," G. Jas, K. Kuczera, S.W. Pauls, and C.K. Johnson, J. Chem. Phys. 107, 8800-8812 (1997).
- "Dependence of pnpropylaniline Ionization Potential on Molecular Conformation: Comparison of Experiment with Theory," X. Song, S.W. Pauls, J. Lucia, E.R. Davidson, and J.P. Reilly, J. of Amer. Chem. Soc., 113, 32023205 (1991).
- "A Laser Photometer that is Assembled in Seconds," T. Lehman and S.W. Pauls, J. Chem. Edu., 68, 530531 (1991).
- "Direct Observations of Time Dependent Intramolecular Vibrational Relaxation in Jetcooled pnalkylanilines by Laser Photoelectron Spectroscopy," X. Song, C.W. Wilkerson, J. Lucia, S.W. Pauls, and J.P. Reilly, Chem. Phys. Letters, 174, 377384 (1990).
- "Magicangle Thermal Desorption Mass Spectroscopy," S.W. Pauls and C.T. Campbell, Surface Science, 226, 250255 (1990).
- "Preparation of Ionization Sources for Thermal Emission Mass Spectrometry by Pulse Plating," S.W. Pauls, J. Kelly, inhouse report at Battelle Laboratory, Northwest National Labs, Richland, WA, 1987.