Tim Neufeld, D.Min.
What programs do you teach in?
I teach in the contemporary Christian ministries program. This major prepares students to move into full-time ministry in the church and parachurch organizations through theological reflection, biblical studies, discernment, spiritual formation and ministry preparedness.
Share why you teach at FPU
I love teaching at FPU because it is a community of learners. When I enter the classroom, I attempt to create a space for learning in which everyone is responsible for the learning process. I enjoy teaching about ministry, but I also want to be a student of my students. I realize that each student at each desk has something to contribute. My job isn't just to give answers, but to pose questions and welcome insights.
My study and research focuses on how the church in North America can authentically address a twenty-first century culture of unprecedented change. The church has largely become irrelevant to a secular, post-Christian culture. But all is not lost. God is at work, and the church must understand in new ways how it can join in the work He is already doing. A missional understanding of church leadership and theology calls for an engagement with culture in ways that the kingdom of God will truly offer hope and salvation in a postmodern context.
Professional and Service Experience
- Part-time worship pastor at North Fresno Church
- Conference speaker
- Chair of Central Valley Youth Ministries Network
- Co-director of Mennonite Brethren National Youth Conference
- The Alban Institute
- Association of Youth Ministry Educators
- Central Valley Youth Ministries Network
- Gospel and Our Culture Network
- National Network of Youth Ministries
- Youth Specialties Academic
Publications and Presentations
- "Missional Church Leadership," presentation at MB Biblical Seminary November 2009
- "Teaching U2: The Classroom as Theological Learning Space," presentation at the Academic Conference on the Work and Infl uence of U2, Durham, North Carolina, October 2009
- "Leading Through Listening: Discerning How God's Spirit is Moving among Your Students," article in the Journal of Student Ministries, Summer 2009
- "God's Christmas Graffiti," for FPU Scholars Speak, December 19, 2007
- "The Dropout Cop-out: Community, businesses can help students succeed," with Larry Wilder in The Fresno Bee, December 9, 2007
- "Can Christians support Buddhist monks?" for FPU Scholars Speak, October 1, 2007
- "Poverty deserves to be treated with serious dignity," in The Fresno Bee, May 12, 2007
- "The Ted Haggard scandal: implications for the church," for FPU Scholars Speak, November 21, 2006; in Mennonite Weekly Review, December 4, 2006; and in Christian Leader, January 1, 2007
- "Family Feud: How to Handle Conflict in the Family," in Christian Leader, September 2003
- "Postmodern Models of Youth Ministry," in Direction, Fall 2002
- Book review of Building Together: Developing Your Blueprint for Congregational Youth Ministry, by Carol Duerksen, published by Faith & Life Resources, 2001, in Direction, Spring 2002
- "Change the Methods, Not the Message," in Christian Leader, March 1999