Vivian A. Gayles, Ed.D
Reading, research, teaching and coaching
Professional and Service Experience
During my earlier years of teaching, I was selected to participate in the WGBH Math Library Project - Education through Public Broadcasting and Telecommunications. A video of my math lesson has been used as a resource and teaching tool for teachers nationwide. I have also enjoyed the honor of being nominated and elected as secretary of California Mathematics Council, Central Section.
I am presently serving as the vice president of the Phi Delta Kappa Fraternity in Bakersfield. We recently hosted a professional development workshop on classroom management with over 80 teachers and student-teachers attending.
Honors and Awards
- WGBH Math Library Project - Education through Public Broadcasting and Telecommunications. A video of my math lesson will be used as a resource and teaching tool for teachers nationwide. Recipient of the California State University Forgivable Loan for Doctoral Candidates
- Principal of the Year 2002 for Middle Grades for the Association of California School Administrators, Region 11
- Principal of the Year 2001 for the Kern Association of Educational Office Professionals
- Nominated for the Sally May Outstanding First Year of Teaching Award
- Dolores and Victor Cerro Scholarship for Education
- California Retired Teachers Grant for Education
- Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE) Grant by the California Student Aid Commission
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Association of California School Administrators (ACSA)
- Kern County Teacher Development Initiative
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Reading and Language Arts Curriculum Selection Committee
- Superintendent's Budget Advisory Committee, Bakersfield City School District
- Title I Reauthorization Committee
- Mentor - middle school principals for the new school improvement plan
I had the honor of working with a team of educators to develop and design the doctoral program for California State University, Bakersfield.
Publications and Presentations
"An Examination of Strategies and Techniques Facilitated by Urban Middle School Principals to Increase Student Achievement in Low Performing Schools," doctoral dissertation, 2002
I am a life-long learner who never quits working. I enjoy traveling with friends and family. Most of all, I love learning about and discussing the Bible.