Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for financial aid?

All students who are eligible and demonstrate financial need can receive financial aid. Each student's financial aid award package is unique and is based on factors such as need and GPA. Contact your financial aid counselor for more information.

How is my financial need determined?

By filling out the FAFSA, the federal government uses complex calculations to determine your family income and EFC (expected family contribution). This information is sent to FPU from the Department of Education and will be used in creating your award package.

What does it cost to attend FPU?

Costs associated with tuition can be found here.

What is "verification"?

If you are selected for verification, you will be asked to submit copies of your prior year's federal tax transcript. If you are married, you will also be required to submit a copy of your spouse's federal tax transcript if you did not file jointly. If you are a dependent student, you will also need to submit copies of your parents' federal tax transcript. Students who fail to submit requested tax information will be ineligible for federal and state financial aid.

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can review the financial aid application process here.

What's a FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that the government uses to determine your family's expected contribution for your education. This expected family contribution (EFC) is used to calculate how much federal aid you are eligible for. In short, it is a standard way for the government to disburse money for education to students with need.

What is the cost for the FAFSA?

There is no cost for submitting the FAFSA. Some companies will charge $20-$50 to fill out the FAFSA for you, but there is no need to pay for such assistance. Your financial aid counselor can help you with any questions you may have regarding your FAFSA.

Have you received my FAFSA yet?

We process FAFSAs daily, as we receive them from the Department of Education. If you filled your FAFSA online it will usually take 2-3 days for us to receive it. If you filled out a paper FAFSA and mailed it to the Department of Education, it can take up to 2 weeks to arrive at FPU. In certain instances you may have filled out your FAFSA, but we haven't received it; if you think this might have happened, please let your financial aid counselor know so that we can contact the Department of Education and locate your FAFSA.

Do I need to submit a new FAFSA every year?

Yes, you need to submit a FAFSA if you wish to receive financial aid for each new school year. The information contained in the FAFSA, and other required documentation is treated in complete confidence by Student Financial Services. Access to this information is governed by the terms of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974.

What other forms do I need?

The only form you need is the FAFSA,  but you must be admitted into classified standing at Fresno Pacific University.

Am I "dependent" or "independent"?

Students are considered independent when they are married or if they have demonstrated no financial support from their parents (rent, exemption on taxes, etc.) for the previous tax season. If you are being considered a dependent student and you wish to prove otherwise, your financial aid counselor can help you with a professional judgement for dependency override. This process requires that you submit any relevant information to the counselor, who will bring your situation to comittee for review.