India Semester Abroad
Visit the land of spicy food, Gandhi, amazing colors, and ancient religions. Encounter the deep needs and challenges of the villages and cities, and participate in projects and churches that seek to offer God’s hope.
FPU is excited to partner with MB Mission to offer the semester in India program. During these 4 months you will:
- Travel and see historic and sacred sites.
- See where Gandhi and other leaders confronted and won independence from Britain.
- Walk the old, narrow streets of Old Delhi.
- Ride rickshaws with new Indian friends.
- Eat Indian rice and curry in a family home.
- Serve alongside Indian and Mennonite Brethren (MB) mission workers in church and development initiatives.
- Earn credit for a semester of study.
- Grow in your Christian walk and understanding of God’s call on your life.
FPU and MB Mission are proud to offer a program that is both high quality and affordable. All in-country costs are covered by regular FPU tuition. In addition, all student aid, including institutional aid, federal government aid and California state aid, may be used towards the semester in India. Students are only responsible for their international round trip airfare to India—typically about $1,500-$1,600, any additional costs for obtaining a passport, visa and vaccinations ($200-$500).
Credit and courses:
Students may earn a maximum of 15 units of credit from the program. Courses will include:
- History and Culture of India
- Introduction to Holistic Mission in India
- Religions of India
- Beginning Hindi
This program can be adapted for multiple majors: intercultural studies, social work, liberal studies, business, environmental studies and art. With the addition of two or three classes at Fresno Pacific, this program can also be the basis for an intercultural studies minor. Students of any major are welcome!
Internships will provide students with 'real world' experience of doing Christian ministry in another culture. Internships will be arranged after arrival in India and will be determined in consultation with local leadership and considering student’s interests.
Complete the online application. This program is open to traditional undergraduate students.
For more information, contact:
- Darren Duerksen at 559-453-2265 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Ken Martens Friesen at 559-453-7126 or email@example.com, or
- Arnie Prieb in the International Programs and Services Office at 559-453-2128 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“My time in India made me look outside of myself and showed me that there is life outside of my comfort zone. I learned about religious diversity, and new approaches to Christian witness.”