- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 559-453-2296
- Office: McDonald Hall, Room 217
- Ph.D., English, University of Iowa, 2001
- M.A., English with Creative Writing Concentration, West Virginia University, 1997
- B.A., English, Gordon College, 1995 - Summa Cum Laude
Publications & Presentations
- "Jesus, Take the Wheel': Evangelical Christianity on American Idol." Integrite: A Faith and Learning Journal 12.2 (2013):17-34. Print.
- "When Darcy Is a Dog': How Wishbone Introduces Children to Jane Austen." Persuasions: The Jane Austen Journal On-Line 34.1 (2013): n. pag. Web. 16 Dec. 2013.
- "I'm the Worst Mother Ever': Motherhood, Comedy, and the Challenges of Bearing and Raising Children in Friends." Studies in Popular Culture 35.1 (2012): 25-41. Print.
- "But This Is the South': Ambivalent Regionalism in Jan Karon's Mitford Novels." Studies in Popular Culture 32.2 (2010):17-33. Print.
- "The Politics of Adaptation: Teaching R-Rated Films on a Christian Campus." The Word in the English Classroom: Best Practices of Faith Integration. Ed. Jamie Dessart and Brad Gambill. Abilene: Abilene Christian UP, 2009. Print.
- "'Everything Was Contested': Teaching Print and Television Biographies of Willa Cather," in Teaching The Works of Willa Cather, edited by Steven Shively and Virgil Albertini, published by Greentower Press, 2008
- "'The World Hasn't Changed Very Much': Romantic Love in Film and Television Versions of Anne of Green Gables," in L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables: A Children's Classic at 100, edited by Holly Blackford, published by Scarecrow Press, 2008
- "Love and Microphones: Romantic Comedy Heroines as Public Speakers," in Journal of Popular Film and Television, 2007
- "A Menace to Human Culture? Teaching Television Films of Willa Cather's Novels," in Teaching Cather, 2005
- "'Tennyson Would Never Approve': Reading and Performance in Kevin Sullivan's Anne of Green Gables," in Canadian Children's Literature, 2002
- "'It's All Mine': The Modern Woman as Writer in Sullivan's Anne of Green Gables Films," in Making Avonlea: L.M. Montgomery and Popular Culture, edited by Irene Gammel, published by University of Toronto Press, 2002
- "'Space Is a Frame We Map Ourselves In': The Feminist Geographies of Susan Howe's Frame Structures," in The Greening of Literary Scholarship: Essays on Literature, Theory, and the Environment, edited by Steven Rosendale, published by University of Iowa Press, 2002
- "The Beginning of the Real Story: C. S. Lewis's Depictions of Heaven," in The Lamp-Post of the Southern California C. S. Lewis Society, 2000
- "'It'll Always Be Burma to Me': J. Peterman on Seinfeld," in Studies in Popular Culture, 2000; and reprinted in Seinfeld, Master of Its Domain: Revisiting Television's Greatest Sitcom, edited by David Lavery with Sara Lewis Dunne, published by Continuum, 2006
- "'I am not a Monster': Homophobia, Nostalgia, and Edith Wharton's The Buccaneers," in Legacy: A Journal of American Women Writers, 1999
- "Word-Healers and Code-Talkers: Native Americans in The X-Files," in Journal of Popular Film and Television, 1998
I teach at Fresno Pacific University because I greatly value the diversity of the students who come into my classroom from all over the world. Nothing makes me feel more satisfied than helping students grow both in their faith and in their ability to think critically, as they strive to imitate the "mind of Christ."