- Three different emphases offered: studio art, art administration and graphic art
- Opportunities to publicly exhibit student work
- Internship opportunities
- Smaller classes give focused attention and greater creative freedom
- Top-tiered faculty
- Exposure to and opportunities for participation in local art events and activities
- Field trips to art museums--both locally and further afield
There are a diverse number of art careers. Whether you're interested in working in an art gallery or museum, painting or sculpting for a living, or simply using art to enrich your life, art has a number of business and personal uses. Our primary goal is to help you reach yours!
Students choose one of the following emphases:
Students may choose to do internships in art. Our program allows students to take up to three internship units which count toward their degree. While there are a variety of internship possibilities in the Fresno area, there are unlimited opportunities across the nation and around the world in art museums, art galleries, art organizations, artist studios and graphic arts businesses. Interning overseas is highly regarded by FPU as an opportunity for growth in global and cultural awareness.
General Education or Other Prerequisites
- ART-110 Art Appreciation (3)
Required Courses (18 Units)
- ART-140 Drawing (3)
- ART-150 Principles of Design (3)
- ART-350 History of Western Art I (3)
- ART-355 History of Western Art II (3)
- ART-460 World Art (3)
Select one of the following:
- ART-120 Painting I (3)
- ART-330 Art and Religion (3)
- ART-440 Exhibition and Gallery Design (3)
Why the Central Valley?
A fast-growing and culturally diverse city, Fresno serves as the business, financial, cultural and entertainment center of California's Central Valley. Because of our central location, students have easy access to the best of the rest of California including three national parks and the central coast. View more advantages to studying in Fresno.
To discover more about the art program, please visit our art department page.