B.A. in Biology: Secondary Teaching Emphasis
The B.A. in biology with a secondary teaching emphasis is designed for students who are interested in teaching secondary biology. The courses provide preparation for instruction in life and general science. This program has been submitted to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for approval. The B.S. in biology also offers this emphasis.
General Education Prerequisites (12 Units)
- BIOL-110L General Biology: Cells and Physiology (4)
- CHEM-101L General Chemistry I (4)
- MATH-140 Pre-Calculus (4)
- or MATH-210 Calculus I (4
Required Courses (14 Courses, 49 Units)
- BIOL-120L General Biology: Diversity and Ecology (4)
- BIOL-310L Ecology (4)
- BIOL-332L Human Physiology (4)
- BIOL-370 Bioethics (3)
- BIOL-440L Cell and Molecular Biology (4)
- BIOL-450L Genetics (4)
- BIOL-470 History and Philosophy of Science (3)
- BIOL-485 Senior Seminar in Biology (1)
- BIOL-496 Biological Research (1)
- CHEM-102L General Chemistry II (4)
- MATH-311 Statistics for Natural Sciences (3)
- PHYS-120L General Physics I (4)
- PHYS-121L General Physics II (4)
- PHYS-150 Earth Science (3)
- PHYS-160 Space Science (3)
Additional Requirements for Teacher Education Candidates
To Enter a Teacher Education Program
Students must meet the following requirements in addition to the specific course requirements outlined above to enter a teacher education program and become credentialed to teach in a California public school:
- Pass the CSET Examination to demonstrate the subject matter competence required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to be a teacher.
To Enter the Fresno Pacific University Teacher Education Program
Students must meet the following requirements to enter the teacher education program at FPU:
- Earn a 2.75 overall grade-point average in their college coursework.
- Earn a 3.0 grade-point average in the secondary teaching emphasis of their major.
To Complete the Fresno Pacific University Teacher Education Program
Students must complete the following courses (with a grade of C or better) in order to complete the teacher education program at FPU and receive a teaching credential. Students are advised, but not required, to take these courses as undergraduates.
- LANG-340 Introduction to Linguistics (3)
- PS-120 American Politics and Society (4)
- or HIST-150 American Civilization (4)
- PSY-355 Adolescent Development (3)
It is recommended that students complete one of the following courses, as well:
- HIST-420 American Ethnicity and Pluralism (3)
- SOC-310 Cultural Communities of California (3)