The Spanish major provides students with the necessary language and cultural understanding of the Spanish speaking countries around the world. In today’s globalized environment there is a need to reach our neighbors in Latin America, as well as the increasingly Spanish-speaking population in the U.S.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of all courses required for the Spanish major, students will be able to:
- Communicate orally in Spanish at an advanced level.
- Write in Spanish at an advanced level.
- Analyze a problem and synthesize a solution through appropriate research in Spanish.
- Integrate emerging technologies into research and communication in Spanish.
- Engage in critical thinking about topics related to Spanish language and culture.
- Describe the unique characteristics of Spanishspeaking cultures around the world.
The Spanish language and culture major offers graduates tools that can be used in almost any profession, in this country or beyond. The widespread influence of Spanish demands professionals in all fields-marketing, educations, community leadership, ministry and much, much more!
Students who major in Spanish are required to take a placement test.
- First, go to this address: http://webcape.byuhtrsc.org/?acct=fresno.
- From the list of universities, choose Fresno Pacific University.
- Use the password: sunbirds1.
For more information, you may contact the program director, Gina Ponce de Leon at email@example.com or 559-453-7183.
General Education or Other Prerequisites (16 Units)
- SPAN -100 Elementary Spanish (4)*
- SPAN -105 Intermediate Spanish (4)*
- SPAN-200 Intermediate Spanish I (4)*
- SPAN-205 Intermediate Spanish II (4)*
- *or demonstrated proficiency
Required Courses (24 Units)
- SPAN -300 Advanced Spanish (3)
- SPAN -305 Composition and Conversation in Spanish (3)
- SPAN -310 Literary Spanish: Prose (3)
- SPAN -320 History of Spanish Language (3)
- SPAN -328 Latin American Civilization & Culture (3)
- SPAN -440 Spanish Literature (3)
- SPAN -445 Latin American Literature (3)
- SPAN-450 Senior Seminar (3)
Electives (9-10 Units)
Select these courses or replace with approved courses taken abroad or at other institutions:
- SPAN-315 Literary Spanish: Poetry (3)
- SPAN-325 Formal Spanish Oral Communication (3)
- SPAN-330 Latin American Thought: Readings in Spanish (3)
- SPAN-496 Spanish Internship (3)
- HIST-410 Modern Latin America: History, Politics and Culture (4)
Students may take 12-15 units abroad. Courses that are equivalents of required courses may meet those requirements, while others may be used for electives. Students must consult with the program director to select specific courses.
Students who are interested in teaching Spanish language in secondary schools can meet the competency requirement by passing the CSET exam in Spanish. Information regarding these exams is available in the School of Education. Currently the university does not offer a subject matter major in Spanish.