South Africa Short Term Study Abroad
Sign up now for 2013: May 18th- June 6th
This study trip will be led by Peter Smith and Arthur Stewart. Peter is an assistant professor based in the Center for Peacemaking & Conflict Studies at FPU. Arthur is based in Cape Town, raising his family and serving as a missionary in South Africa for the past nine years. Peter served under Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in Zambia from 2007-2011, including some time spent in South Africa. The trip will focus on the histories and cultures of South Africa while tracing themes of reconciliation and justice.
- Engage the diversity of post-apartheid South Africa.
- Interact with people working for reconciliation and justice.
- Visit Table Mountain and Robben Island in Capetown.
- Walk through the Apartheid Museum and Soweto Township in Johannesburg.
- Embark on a safari adventure in Kruger National Park.
About $3,600-4,000 (incl. subsidy)
There are three credit options for the 2013 South Africa Trip:
- 7 units of credit and meet all focus series requirements.
- 4 units of credit and meet all focus series requirements.
- 1 unit of credit and meet half of focus series requirements.
Credit is based upon additional classes a student wishes to take in addition to the trip. Please see your advisor for more details and to make sure you can fit the credits into your program.
October 30, 2012 (12:45-1:30) AIMS 113 - Informational Meeting
December 15, 2012 - Application deadline
January 1, 2013 - Notification of acceptance
January 15, 2013 - Non-refundable $250 deposit due
February 15, 2013 - Airfare due
April 1, 2013 - Balance due
There are 8 - 12 student spots currently available. Register now!