FPU Homecoming features facilities dedication, family events
The key to a great weekend is Homecoming at Fresno Pacific University.
The annual event, which takes place this Friday and Saturday at several locations on campus, features events ranging from groundbreaking for a building and dedicating a soccer field to concerts and a carnival.
Ground will be broken for Steinert Campus Center at 3 p.m. Friday on the Campus Green. The center, named in honor of long-time FPU supporters Marvin and Nadene Steinert of Bakersfield, will contain general dining for students, faculty and staff as well as separate space for special events. A student development leadership center and offices for the student life division are also part of the $3.5 million project.
Ceremonies to christen Jaime Ramirez Soccer Field begin at 1:45 p.m. Saturday at the field, located inside the Bill Cockerham Track at the east edge of campus. Since Ramirez became head coach in 1991 the men’s team has achieved a 118-60-14 record and a winning percentage of .652 coming into the 2001 season. The Sunbirds also earned four Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) championships. The 1999 squad won the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Region II trophy and participated in the national championships. Ramirez was also instrumental in establishing the women’s soccer squad, now in its first year of conference play after several years as a club sport.
A 1981 graduate, as a player Ramirez scored 54 goals, 27 assists and 134 points, a record that stood until 1999. He appeared three times on the NAIA All-American list and was on the team that brought home the university’s first NAIA District 3 championship in any sport.
(Some events have a charge and/or require reservations. Contact the proper department for more information.):
Friday, October 26
- Groundbreaking for Steinert Campus Center, 3:00 p.m. on the Campus Green
- Powder Puff Football Game (1 of 2), 4:00 p.m. on the Campus Green
- Dinner Hour and FPU Jazz Band Concert, 5:00 p.m. on the site of Steinert Campus Center
- Board of Trustees and Former Student Body President's Dinner, 6:00 p.m. in Alumni Hall
- Women's Volleyball vs. California Baptist, 6:00 p.m. in the Special Events Center
- Class of '91 Reunion, 7:00 p.m. in BC Lounge at Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary
- Athletics Hall of Fame Induction Dessert, 8:00 p.m. in Ashley Auditorium, McDonald Hall
- Karaoke & Pizza Night, 9:00 p.m. on the McDonald Hall Green
Saturday, October 27
- Pillar to Pillar Run, 6:30 a.m. at Bill Cockerham Track
- Alumni Prayer Breakfast, 7:30 a.m. in Ashley Auditorium, McDonald Hall, for alumni, faculty, retired faculty and trustees
- Campus Carnival, 9:00 a.m. on the McDonald Hall Green
- Men's Student-Alumni Flag Football, 9:00 a.m. at Steinert Field
- Alumni Women's Basketball, 10:00 a.m. in the Special Events Center
- Powder Puff vs. Alumni Football Game (2 of 2), 11:00 a.m. on the Campus Green
- Lunch at Alumni Plaza, 11:30 a.m. in Alumni Plaza
- Women's Soccer vs. Westmont, noon at Steinert Field
- Jaime Ramirez Soccer Field Dedication, 1:45 p.m. at Steinert Field
- Dinner Hour, 4:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall
- Skit Night, 5:20 p.m. on the McDonald Hall Green
- Women's Volleyball vs. Westmont, 7:00 p.m. in the Special Events Center
- Fiesta Dinner and Concert by Boxhaul7, 7:00 p.m. in Ashley Auditorium, McDonald Hall