Vietnam Semester Abroad
Spend a semester learning about and exploring and a most fascinating and exotic area of the world. You’ll taste the culture (and food!) of Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia. You’ll see some of the most beautiful landscape in the world and experience the history, religion, business and politics of this amazing region!
During these 4 months you will:
- Travel throughout Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand.
- Learn about the history and religious diversity in each of these countries.
- Learn how people in this dynamic region do business.
- Walk the narrow streets of Old Hanoi.
- Visit Hmong and other ethnic minority villages in Vietnam and Laos.
- Travel the Mekong River by boat.
- See world renowned cultural sites of Angkor Wat, Halong Bay and Luang Prabang.
- Stay with a Vietnamese host family and learn how to communicate in basic Vietnamese.
- Complete an internship in a Vietnamese or international business or non-profit organization.
- Earn 15 – 18 units of credit for a semester of study.
- Grow in your Christian walk and understanding of God’s call on your life.
FPU is proud to offer a program that is both high quality and affordable. Students pay regular FPU tuition plus room and board. All FPU scholarships and FPU institutional aid, federal aid and California state aid may be used towards the semester in Southeast Asia. The only additional costs are for obtaining a passport, visa and vaccinations ($200-$500).
Students may earn 18 units of credit from the program. Tentative course options include:
- History and Politics of Modern Vietnam
- Religion and Culture of Vietnam
- Vietnamese Language I
- Business and Economics in Southeast Asia
- International Business
- Internship in Business or Non-Profit
- Business and Culture of Modern Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand)
This program can be adapted for a variety of majors including: business, intercultural studies, political science, history, social work, liberal studies, environmental studies and art. With the addition of three classes at Fresno Pacific, this cross-cultural semester study program can also be the basis for an international studies minor! Students of any major are welcome!
Internships will provide students with 'real world' experience of doing work in an international environment. Internships will be arranged after arrival in Vietnam and will be determined in consultation with local leadership and considering student’s interests.
Complete the online application. This program is open to traditional undergraduate students.
For additional information, please contact:
- Ken Martens Friesen at 559-453-7126 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Bryan at 559-453-2224 or email@example.com
- Arnie Prieb in the International Programs and Services Office at 559-453-2128 or firstname.lastname@example.org