Academic Support Center
Believing that “knowledge and understanding are formed in community” (The FPU Idea), the Academic Support Center (ASC) works in collaboration with faculty, empowering students to become well-grounded in the general education/liberal arts core before advancing to upper-division, content-specific major courses. We provide feedback to all undergraduate students in writing across the curriculum, emphasizing higher order concerns of focus and development. - ASC Mission Statement
The ASC exists to provide resources and free services to help undergraduate students achieve higher levels of academic performance at Fresno Pacific University. All of our tutors are professionally trained to work with the unique needs and talents of individual students, and to help them develop the knowledge and skills needed to become confident, independent and active learners. Underlying our services is the belief that students working with students is beneficial for everyone involved in the learning process.
The following are our hours during the fall and spring semesters. For hours of operation during interim periods, please give our center a call.
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Our Location & Contact Information
We are located at the south west corner of the main campus in Marpeck 105, which is on the south side of the building.
Academic Support Center
Fresno Pacific University
1717 South Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
The ASC supports the NTA's Code of Ethics as cited below:
- I understand that my role as a tutor is to never do the student's work for him or her.
- I will give honest feedback to the student I serve and will not insult my student with false hope or empty flattery; I will always demonstrate faith in my student's learning abilities.
- I understand that my relationship to the student is professional and not personal.
- I will show respect for my student's cultural background and personal value system.
- I recognize that I may not have all the answers to student questions. In this event, I will seek assistance in finding answers to the student's questions and/or direct the student to an appropriate resource for the information.
- I will maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions as expected and required.
- I will respect my student's personal dignity at all times.
- I will be on time for tutoring appointments, not only out of courtesy, but to be a good example for my student to follow.
- I will keep all information about the student whom I am assigned confidential.
- I understand that my ultimate goal is to assist my student in learning how he or she best learns and to help my student develop the skills to achieve his or her best, most efficient learning.
- I will share any concerns I have with my supervisor.
- I expect to learn along with my student.
- I will keep current in both my subject area(s) and learning methodologies.
- I will remain flexible to my approach to student learning, respectful of the various learning styles.
- I will share techniques for improved study skills with my students.
All of our tutors either have or are working on various levels of certification in coordination with the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). For more information about the significance of this certification and the specifics regarding the topics and experience that CRLA requires from institutions that are qualified to certify tutors, visit the CRLA website.