Faculty in Accounting
Full-time, with faculty rank; tenure-track 9-month faculty appointment, in the School of Business.
Rank: Assistant or Associate Professor
START DATE: July 1, 2023
Fresno Pacific University’s growing School of Business invites applications for a full-time faculty position in the area of accounting. Reporting to the Dean of the School of Business, this faculty member will provide strategic guidance on accounting coursework delivered to both undergraduate and graduate students in onsite, blended, and online modalities, while teaching across populations and modalities. This faculty member will work with a team of business faculty with varying areas of expertise to advance the Fresno Pacific Idea through innovative, Christ-centered service to students and the community.
The faculty position will be based at the FPU main campus and may require travel to regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Merced, and Bakersfield. Courses are taught in the evenings at the Regional Campuses.
- Teach within the undergraduate and graduate business degree programs;
- Communicate regularly with program directors to keep them abreast of current accounting trends and coursework needs;
- Pursue an active scholarly agenda as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Active participation in direct and indirect student recruitment efforts;
- Assist with advising/mentoring of students in the major/program;
- Initiate and build relationships/partnerships with external organizations, agencies, and educational institutions in efforts to expand and grow the School of Business;
- Ensure program offerings and curriculum strongly support student learning outcomes as dictated by industry and market need;
- Participate actively with industry advisory board to ensure graduates of the program meet the needs of employers;
- Adhere to regional and programmatic accreditation requirements.
- Earned terminal degree in Accounting or Finance
- Candidates with a master’s degree or those nearing terminal degree completion may be considered
- Completion of a terminal degree is a requirement for continued employment
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement
- Demonstrated success in accounting leadership and administration
- Strong passion for teaching and coaching undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to work collegially with students, staff, faculty, and administration
- Ability to teach and work with persons with diverse cultural, religious, political, and educational perspectives
- Strong oral, and written communication skills
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church
- Professional accounting experience
- CPA certification
- College level teaching experience demonstrated by favorable course evaluations
Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
- We anticipate hiring an assistant or associate professor.
- The Faculty Salary Scale and Placement can be viewed here.
*If you cannot access the link, please email email@example.com.
The link to the application is within the job description here.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts to:
Katie Fleener, Ph.D
School of Business, Box 2303
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea here.
Reserving its rights as a religious institution, Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age or disability, or other classes protected by applicable law. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you should contact FPU’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a religious institution, the University will administer the equal opportunity employment policy consistent with the Fresno Pacific University statement of faith, the FPU Idea and the University’s governance by the Pacific District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Placement of New Faculty Appointees on the Salary Scale
Faculty Handbook Section 9.2.3
The initial contract of a new faculty member at hiring will indicate step placement on the salary scale and professorial rank. Placement will be made by the Provost/Senior VP and appropriate school dean. The appropriate department/program director/chair may be consulted as needed.
3 yrs. of credit toward tenure (section 3.7):
Newly hired faculty members who have achieved tenure at another institution are not immediately eligible for tenure at Fresno Pacific University at appointment. However, upon the recommendation of the dean and the Rank and Tenure Committee who conduct the third-year evaluation, such a faculty member may receive tenure earlier than the six-year period upon the recommendation of the Provost/Senior VP to the president.
Rank eligibility [see section 3.4 for definitions]
A Master’s degree (Step 1 at Instructor rank) OR
Master’s degree plus 30 credit hours or a Master of Divinity (Step 2) OR
Two master’s degrees, a master’s degree plus professional certification (e.g., CPA, RN, etc.), or ABD status (Step 4) OR
The terminal degree in the hiring field with less than 2 years of college teaching experience (Step 6 at Assistant Professor rank, Step 10 at Associate, Step 14 at Professor). The expected terminal degree is established for each academic field, e.g., Ph.D. in humanities and sciences, MFA in performing arts, Ed.D. in education, etc.
Relevant teaching, scholarship, service, or other professional experience (1 additional step for every 5 years of experience up to 5 steps total) directly related to discipline.
Additional steps may be awarded to acknowledge differential pay levels in professional fields where the hiring market salary gap can be established to be at least $5000. Only in unusual circumstances and in consultation with the Personnel Committee should such market adjustments exceed five steps.
Discretionary steps. In order to respond to special circumstances of the competitive marketplace, e.g., unusually attractive candidate credentials or professional achievements, 1-2 steps may be awarded at the Provost/Senior VP’s discretion and reported to the Personnel Committee.
Note: Language in italics is not in the Handbook but has been added to this form for clarification.
|Faculty Salary Scale
9-month contract 1
Step Increase 2 $750
Step Increase $1250
Step Inscrease $1750
Increase Step $2250
|1||Steps 1 through 3 are not in use|
|2||Steps 1 through 3 are not in use|
|3||Steps 1 through 3 are not in use|
1 Salaries are at a 9-month contract. 10-month contract salaries can be calculated by taking the 9-month salary and multiply by 1.11. 11-month contract salaries can be calculated by taking the 9-month salary and multiply by 1.22.
2 Step increase is the amount increased per step.