Faculty in Biology
Department: Life Sciences (LSCI)
Reports to: Chair, Department of LSCI
Status: Faculty rank; tenure track
Time commitment: Full-time: 9-month appointment
Start date: 07/01/2022
Fresno Pacific University’s (FPU) growing STEM programs invite applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Biology to begin for the Fall semester 2022.The Department offers Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees in Biology, Pre-health (including a pre-nursing program) and Environmental Science/Studies. Modern facilities house faculty offices and laboratories; the campus is in close proximity to regional medical centers, natural areas such as Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks, and the nation’s most productive agricultural region. FPU seeks professionals of Christian faith who are committed to integration of faith and learning in their respective fields. The applicants must have demonstrated teaching ability, commitment to scholarship and program development, and a commitment to working with and encouraging diversity. Department faculty members are committed to excellent undergraduate education; our graduates have a strong record of career placement, and acceptance into graduate and professional schools.
- Teach in the baccalaureate program(s). Area of specialization is open but must be able to teach in one or more of the following areas that serve both biology majors (300-level courses) as well as the pre-requisites for the Nursing program (200-level courses): Physiology, Anatomy, Microbiology or general introductory, non-major life science courses.
- Develop curriculum in area of expertise.
- Pursue an active scholarly professional development agenda while promoting a focus on student-faculty collaborative research.
- Mentor and advise undergraduate students majoring in Pre-health or Biology, depending on area of expertise (as well as general education students).
- Regular communication with students regarding their progress.
- Contribute to departmental, university and community activities and service.
- Ph.D. in a field of biological sciences or a related discipline (ABD candidates will be considered; completion of a terminal degree is a requisite for continued employment).
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement.
- Evidence of the potential to be a strong mentor and advisor to Pre-health or Biology majors (as well as general education students).
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching with a commitment to quality undergraduate instruction with attention to student success as an indicator of academic excellence.
- Must be open to teaching in both traditional undergraduate and accelerated degree programs both in-person and online (or in a hybrid, Hi-Flex format).
- Ability to work with students, staff, and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Evidence of passion for student mentoring.
- Able to learn and navigate technology, course management systems, and virtual learning environments such as Moodle.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Specialization in physiology, anatomy, biotechnology, or informatics.
- Substantial background in bioethics and/or statistics.
- Proficiency in programming skills for informatics and biotechnology (Python, R, etc.).
- Skills to support an ethnically and culturally diverse student body.
Dependent on qualifications and experience and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
A faculty application is available at http://www.fresno.edu/visitors/careers - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vitae, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Tara Sirvent, Dean
School of Natural Sciences
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue, Box 2304
Fresno, CA 93702
OR e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea here.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.