Faculty in Computer Science
Department: Physical and Mathematical Sciences (PMSCI)
School: School of Natural Sciences
Reports to: Chair, Department of PMSCI
Status: Faculty rank; tenure track
Time commitment: Full-time: 9- or 10-month appointment
Start date: 07/01/2023
Fresno Pacific University’s (FPU) growing STEM programs invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant or Associate Professor of Computer Sciences to begin for the fall semester of 2023. FPU seeks professionals of Christian faith who are committed to integration of faith and learning in their respective fields. The applicants must have demonstrated teaching ability, commitment to scholarship and program development, and a commitment to working with and encouraging diversity. Courses to be taught may include but are not limited to 1) Programming, 2) Databases, 3) Networking, 4) Operating Systems, 5) Software Engineering, and/or 6) Computer Architecture or courses in logic and problem solving. Faculty with cross-domain expertise in Physics or Mathematics and Computer Science will also be given consideration.
Three (3), tenure-track faculty members are anticipated to be hired for the 2023-2024 Academic Year within the Department of Physical and Mathematical Sciences pending final budgetary approvals. Additional postings for Mathematics and Physics (or Chemistry) faculty are listed on the website.
- Provide visionary leadership and administrative oversight for the field of Computer Sciences. Current programs are in software engineering and computer information systems (CIS).
- Teach in the baccalaureate program(s). Area of specialization is open but must be able to teach in one or more of the following areas of computer sciences: software, programing, hardware and architecture, networking, software engineering or data sciences.
- Develop curriculum in area of expertise,
- Pursue an active scholarly professional development agenda while promoting a focus on student-faculty collaborative research,
- Direct supervision of students in undergraduate research,
- Mentor and advise applied mathematics or software engineering majors (as well as general education students),
- Regular communication with students regarding their progress,
- Maintenance of student academic records,
- Work with faculty and staff in other departments to design and refine curriculum and identify opportunities for collaboration, and
- Work with local community and industry to identify and secure project experience for students.
- Doctorate in computer or data sciences or related field (ABD candidates will be considered),
- Evidence of effective administrative leadership,
- Evidence of effective teaching at a collegiate level,
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement,
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching with a commitment to quality undergraduate instruction with attention to student success as an indicator of academic excellence,
- Must be open to teaching in both traditional undergraduate and accelerated degree programs both in-person and online (or in a hybrid, Hi-Flex format),
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church,
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment,
- Evidence of passion for student mentoring, and
- Able to learn and navigate technology, course management systems, and virtual learning environments such as Moodle.
- PhD or EdD in technology or related field;
- Minimum of two - three years of university teaching experience;
- Expertise in computer-based algebra system(s) (experience w/open-source systems such as SAGE & R preferred), and
- Programming skills for problem solving (Python, Java, C++, etc.).
Dependent on qualifications and experience and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA-CREF).
A faculty application is available here - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vitae, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Tara Sirvent
Dean, School of Natural Sciences
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email email@example.com
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea here.
Reserving its rights as a religious institution, Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age or disability, or other classes protected by applicable law. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you should contact FPU’s Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a religious institution, the University will administer the equal opportunity employment policy consistent with the Fresno Pacific University statement of faith, the FPU Idea and the University’s governance by the Pacific District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.