Faculty in Mathematics – Traditional Undergraduate
Department: Physical and Mathematical Sciences (PMSCI)
Reports to: Chair, Department of PMSCI
Status: Faculty rank; tenure track
Time commitment: Full-time: 9-month appointment
Start date: 07/01/2022
Fresno Pacific University’s (FPU) growing STEM programs invite applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Mathematics to begin for the Fall semester 2022. FPU seeks professionals of Christian faith who are committed to integration of faith and learning in their respective fields. The applicants must have demonstrated teaching ability, commitment to scholarship and program development, and a commitment to working with and encouraging diversity. Courses to be taught may include but are not limited to: 1) Linear Algebra, 2) Differential Equations, 3) Numerical Analysis, 4) courses in the Calculus series, and 5) Discrete Mathematics, or additional courses in statistics or data sciences or other area of specialization.
- Teach in the baccalaureate program(s). Area of specialization is open but must be able to teach in one or more of the following areas:
- lower-division introductory mathematics
- a subset of the following:
- Multivariable Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Linear Algebra
- lower-division introductory statistics
- lower-division introductory mathematics
- Develop curriculum in area of expertise.
- Pursue an active scholarly professional development agenda while promoting a focus on student-faculty collaborative research.
- Direct supervision of students in undergraduate research.
- Mentor and advise applied mathematics or software engineering majors (as well as general education students).
- Regular communication with students regarding their progress.
- Maintenance of student academic records.
- Doctorate in mathematics, statistics, or related field.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching with a commitment to quality undergraduate instruction with attention to student success as an indicator of academic excellence.
- Must be open to teaching in both traditional undergraduate and accelerated degree programs both in-person and online (or in a hybrid, Hi-Flex format).
- Ability to work with students, staff, and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Evidence of passion for student mentoring.
- Able to learn and navigate technology, course management systems, and virtual learning environments such as Moodle.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Ability to teach:
- Calculus-based Statistics
- Numerical Analysis
- Discrete Mathematics
- Expertise in computer-based algebra system(s) (experience w/open-source systems such as SAGE & R preferred), and
- Programming skills for problem solving (Python, Java, C++, etc.).
Dependent on qualifications and experience and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
A faculty application is available at http://www.fresno.edu/visitors/careers - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vitae, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Tara Sirvent
Dean, School of Natural Sciences
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea here.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.