Faculty in Nursing – MSN
Department: Nursing (NURS)
School: School of Natural Sciences
Reports to: Chair, Department of Nursing
Status: Faculty rank; tenure track
Time commitment: Full-time: 10-month appointment
Start date: 07/01/2023
Fresno Pacific University’s growing nursing program invites applications for a nursing educator with expertise in obstetrics, mental health, pediatrics, -or- geriatrics to join a visionary team as it builds new programs. The current BRN-approved and CCNE accredited programs include a RN–to–BSN program, a pre-licensure BSN program for traditional undergraduates (TUG) and a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program with a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) focus. This nursing faculty member will work with a talented team of faculty and university leadership to expand innovative and Christ-centered service to those underserved in the community. Three (3), tenure-track faculty members will be hired for the 2023-2024 Academic Year, pending final budgetary approvals.
- Teach primarily in the graduate program. Area of specialization is open.
- Develop curriculum in area of expertise.
- Direct and indirect supervision of students in diverse clinical settings.
- Evaluation of students in class and clinical/lab settings.
- Regular communication with students regarding their progress.
- Maintenance of student academic records.
- Pursue an active scholarly professional development agenda while promoting a focus on student-faculty collaborative research.
- Mentor and advise nursing students.
- Clinical position with a requirement of a masters degree, OR
- Tenure-track position with a requirement of a terminal degree (or completion of a terminal degree (PhD or DNP) as a requisite for continued employment)
- Minimum of one (1) year direct patient RN experience within the previous five (5) years of clinical nursing experience in one of the following area(s): obstetrics, mental health, pediatrics, or geriatrics.
- Two (2) year’s continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience in direct patient care in family practice as a registered NP.
- Verification of national certification by AANPCB or ANCC as an NP in population focused area of family practice.
- Unrestricted and unencumbered current California Registered Nurse license.
- Evidence of potential for excellence in teaching at a collegiate level.
- Must be open to teaching in-person and online (or in a hybrid, Hi-Flex format).
- Commitment to quality instruction with attention to student success as an indicator of academic excellence.
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Evidence of passion for student mentoring.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement (if tenure-track).
- Able to learn and navigate technology, course management systems, and virtual learning environments such as Moodle or Typhon.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church
- Doctoral degree.
- Bilingual and multicultural competencies.
Dependent on qualifications and experience and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA-CREF).
- We anticipate hiring an assistant or associate professor.
- The Faculty Salary Scale and Placement can be viewed here.
*If you cannot access the link, please email email@example.com.
A faculty application is available here - the link is in the job description on the FPU website.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vitae, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Tara Sirvent
Dean, School of Natural Sciences
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea here.
Reserving its rights as a religious institution, Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age or disability, or other classes protected by applicable law. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you should contact FPU’s Human Resources Department at email@example.com. As a religious institution, the University will administer the equal opportunity employment policy consistent with the Fresno Pacific University statement of faith, the FPU Idea and the University’s governance by the Pacific District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Placement of New Faculty Appointees on the Salary Scale
Faculty Handbook Section 9.2.3
The initial contract of a new faculty member at hiring will indicate step placement on the salary scale and professorial rank. Placement will be made by the Provost/Senior VP and appropriate school dean. The appropriate department/program director/chair may be consulted as needed.
3 yrs. of credit toward tenure (section 3.7):
Newly hired faculty members who have achieved tenure at another institution are not immediately eligible for tenure at Fresno Pacific University at appointment. However, upon the recommendation of the dean and the Rank and Tenure Committee who conduct the third-year evaluation, such a faculty member may receive tenure earlier than the six-year period upon the recommendation of the Provost/Senior VP to the president.
Rank eligibility [see section 3.4 for definitions]
A Master’s degree (Step 1 at Instructor rank) OR
Master’s degree plus 30 credit hours or a Master of Divinity (Step 2) OR
Two master’s degrees, a master’s degree plus professional certification (e.g., CPA, RN, etc.), or ABD status (Step 4) OR
The terminal degree in the hiring field with less than 2 years of college teaching experience (Step 6 at Assistant Professor rank, Step 10 at Associate, Step 14 at Professor). The expected terminal degree is established for each academic field, e.g., Ph.D. in humanities and sciences, MFA in performing arts, Ed.D. in education, etc.
Relevant teaching, scholarship, service, or other professional experience (1 additional step for every 5 years of experience up to 5 steps total) directly related to discipline.
Additional steps may be awarded to acknowledge differential pay levels in professional fields where the hiring market salary gap can be established to be at least $5000. Only in unusual circumstances and in consultation with the Personnel Committee should such market adjustments exceed five steps.
Discretionary steps. In order to respond to special circumstances of the competitive marketplace, e.g., unusually attractive candidate credentials or professional achievements, 1-2 steps may be awarded at the Provost/Senior VP’s discretion and reported to the Personnel Committee.
Note: Language in italics is not in the Handbook but has been added to this form for clarification.
|Faculty Salary Scale
9-month contract 1
Step Increase 2 $750
Step Increase $1250
Step Inscrease $1750
Increase Step $2250
|1||Steps 1 through 3 are not in use|
|2||Steps 1 through 3 are not in use|
|3||Steps 1 through 3 are not in use|
1 Salaries are at a 9-month contract. 10-month contract salaries can be calculated by taking the 9-month salary and multiply by 1.11. 11-month contract salaries can be calculated by taking the 9-month salary and multiply by 1.22.
2 Step increase is the amount increased per step.