The Martin Luther King Jr. & Fannie Lou Hamer Scholarship
The Martin Luther King Jr. and Fannie Lou Hamer Scholarship is awarded to students born in the United States of Black or African American descent. Students must be academically prepared, first-time freshman or transfer students attending FPU. The scholarship awards $4,000 and is renewable each year for up to four years, provided the recipient follows the program requirements listed below.
The King & Hamer Scholarship program provides leadership development, mentoring, career opportunities and cultural events/conferences that scholars can lead and attend.
- Must be admitted to a traditional undergraduate program at FPU.
- Must be born in the United States and of Black or African American descent.
- Special consideration is given to students applying from a West Fresno Ministerial Alliance church, however, all students meeting the criteria are encouraged to apply.
Program Requirements (if awarded)
- Must enroll as a full-time student at FPU.
- Maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA; grade reporting required at week 9 of the semester.
- Required monthly review with program coordinator to review achievements.
- Students will complete a service project as a scholarship cohort.
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings/events with other scholarship recipients.
- Active participation in the Martin Luther King Jr. Day program and planning.
- Program requirements may be subject to change each academic year.
- Apply and be admitted to Fresno Pacific University by the established deadlines.
- Submit a completed King & Hamer Scholarship application and email to King.Hamer@fresno.edu
- Submit personal resume outlining your academic and extracurricular accomplishments. Any community service involvement, volunteer activities, or work experience should be included.
- Submit essay as detailed on the scholarship application form.
- Submit a letter of recommendation for this scholarship attesting to your leadership skills and cultural awareness.
- Once all applications meeting the deadline have been received, the scholarship committee will review the candidates and invite finalists to campus for an interview.
Deadlines to Apply
All steps must be completed prior to the deadlines to be considered.
Priority deadline for Fall: March 2
After March 2, scholarship applications will be accepted on a rolling basis if funds are available.
Priority deadline for Spring: December 1
After December 1, scholarship applications will be accepted on a rolling basis if funds are available.
For More InformationKing.Hamer@fresno.edu