Ryan Schellenberg, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies
Program Director of Biblical and Religious Studies
Seminary House, Room 208
Ph.D., University of St. Michael's College (University of Toronto)
M.A., FPU Biblical Seminary
B.A., Canadian Mennonite University
- Paul and his letters in social context
- Synoptic Gospels
- Parables of Jesus
Honors and Awards
- Governor General’s Academic Medal – Gold, Governor General of Canada, 2012
- Gordon Farquharson Scholarship, Toronto School of Theology, 2010
- Doctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, 2008
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
- Anabaptist-Mennonite Scholars Network
Publications and Presentations
- Rethinking Paul’s Rhetorical Education: Comparative Rhetoric and 2 Corinthians 10–13. Early Christianity and Its Literature. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2013.
- "The First Pauline Chronologist? Paul's Itinerary in the Letters and in Acts." Journal of Biblical Literature, forthcoming.
- "Does Paul Call Adam a 'Type' of Christ? An Exegetical Note on Romans 5, 14," Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft, 105 (2014): 54-63.
- “Rhetorical Terminology in Paul: A Critical Reappraisal.” Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft, 104 (2013): 177–91.
- “τὸ ἐν λόγῳ ἰδιωτικὸν τοῦ Ἀποστόλου: Revisiting Patristic Testimony on Paul’s Rhetorical Education.” Novum Testamentum 54 (2012): 354–68.
- “Suspense, Simultaneity, and Divine Providence in the Book of Tobit.” Journal of Biblical Literature 130 (2011): 313–27.
- “Kingdom as Contaminant? The Role of Repertoire in the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven.” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 71 (2009): 527–43.
- “ ‘They Spoke the Truest of Words’: Irony in the Speeches of Herodotus’s Histories.” Arethusa 42 (2009): 131–50.
- “Which Master? Whose Steward? Metalepsis and Lordship in the Parable of the Prudent Steward (Luke 16:1–13).” Journal for the Study of the New Testament 30 (2008): 263–88.
Chapters and Dictionary Articles:
- "Peace." Pages 666-69 in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. 2nd ed. Edited by Joel B. Green, Jeannine K. Brown, and Nicholas Perrin. Downer's Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press, 2013.
- "Eschatology." Pages 232-39 in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2 ed., Edited by Joel B. Green, Jeannine K. Brown, and Nicholas Perrin, Downers Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press, 2013.
- “ ‘Danger in the wilderness, danger at sea’: Paul and the Perils of Travel.” Pages 141–61 in Travel and Religion in Antiquity. Edited by Philip A. Harland. Studies in Christianity and Judaism 21. Waterloo, Ont.: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 2011.
- "A Father's Advocacy." Pages 153-59 in Proclaiming the Scandal of the Cross: Contemplorary Images of the Atonement. Edited by Mark D. Bakers. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2006.
Recent Conference Presentations:
- "Deducing Paul's Itinerary: Luke as the First Pauline Chronologist." Society of Biblical Literature annual meeting, Baltimore, Md., November 25, 2013.
- "To en logō idiōtikon tou Apostolou: Revisiting Patristic Testimony on Pauline Rhetoric." Society of Biblical Literature annual meeting, San Francisco, CA, November 20, 2011.