Larry Dunn, Ph.D.
School of Humanities, Religion and Social Sciences
When you're called to heal,
the possibilities are endless.
This professional certificate will prepare you to assist as a third party in negotiations between individuals or groups with conflicting perspectives, attitudes and/or actions. Curriculum and practice will prepare you to serve as a mediator who can help parties come to mutually acceptable agreements.
- Hands-on experience in mediation and facilitation
- Court-connected mediation opportunities
- Faculty experienced in family, criminal and civil mediation
This program is designed for individuals who wish to develop skill in mediation in preparation for professional or voluntary work in mediation. Individuals in leadership may also wish to use the certificate program to enhance their mediation skills in their continuing roles.
Main Campus Fresno
Required Courses (15 Units)
*May be waived if student has had previous experience in mediation.
- PACS 710 - Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution Credits 1
- PACS 756 - Introductory Practicum in Mediation Credits 1 *
- PACS 758 - Advanced Mediation Credits 3
- PACS 760 - Mediation and the Law Credits 3
- PACS 764 - Internship in Peacemaking Credits 2 - 6
Select a minimum of one from the following to complete the program:
- PACS 737 - Institute in Victim Offender Reconciliation Program (VORP) Development Credits 2
- PACS 739 - Institute in Establishing a Mediation Practice Credits 1
- PACS 746 - Restorative Justice Credits 3
- PACS 750 - International Conflict and Peacemaking Credits 3
- PACS 751 - Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures Credits 3
- PACS 752 - Church Conflict Management and Leadership Credits 3
- PACS 762 - Family Mediation Credits 3
- PACS 766 - Mediator Certification Course Credits 1
With an FPU Education
The decision to embark on graduate studies is a big one. Our 40+ graduate programs will equip you to succeed in your career and in your life. You’ll become part of a small community of learners, thrive in a flexible learning environment and be challenged by a rigorous curriculum. Learn how much further you can go at FPU!
First Steps to Admission
- Apply online
- Submit 2-3 reference forms (Varies based on program of interest)
These can be filled out by academic or professional acquaintances familiar with your ability to complete graduate-level work. Print the reference form.
- Include statement of intent.
You can also provide an addendum explaining your interest in the program, any long-term goals and your experience in the field.
- Request official transcripts.
Transcripts must be from accredited institutions to verify your bachelor’s degree. Send transcripts electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail sealed transcripts to the Registrar’s Office at 1717 S. Chestnut Ave. Fresno, CA 93702.
- Complete program requirements.
These requirements are specific to your program of choice. You will be contacted for an interview and additional requirements if applicable.
- Apply for financial aid.
You can apply for FAFSA. Use FPU school code: 001253
- Schedule an appointment.
Meet with your Student Financial Services Advisor. You can contact them at 559-453-2041 | email@example.com.
- Orientation interview with program director
- One current professional reference form
- Minimum 2.75 GPA
- Letter of explanation if GPA is below 2.75
- Writing sample indicating graduate-level proficiency
Cost & Financial Aid
The below listed prices reflect the current and upcoming Fall and Spring semesters and do not include any financial aid. Paying for college can be an overwhelming step in education your journey. We can help you find all the opportunities to reduce your out of pocket costs.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition per Unit Amount 700 Level $705 Teacher Education $705 MBA $757* MSN and LEAD $720 KIN $570 Other Costs Amount Student services fee (per semester) $60 * Field Placement Fee (charged for both the international and regional trip semesters) $1,500
Tuition per Unit Amount 700 Level $690 Teacher Education $690 MBA $757* MSN and LEAD $710 KIN $560
* Fall 2020 & later cohorts
Other Costs Amount Student services fee (per semester) $60 * Field Placement Fee (charged for both the international and regional trip semesters) $1,500
* This is an estimate. Costs subject to change. Cost of attendance figures are used for budgeting purposes only and represent an estimate of projected tuition and fees for the coming academic year. Actual tuition rates are approved by the Board of Trustees and may vary.
Types of aid
Financial aid can refer to scholarships, grants and loans, which are available to you from the government, the university or outside sources. Aid types vary depending on the type of student you are.
This certificate will enable students to develop skills in mediation in preparation for professional or voluntary work in mediation. Individuals in leadership may also wish to use the certificate program to enhance their mediation skills in their continuing roles.
Career Development Happens Here
The staff in our Career Development and Experiential Learning Center are here to help you prepare to enter the working world. Whether your a freshman or an FPU alum, there are a number of resources and trainings offered to help you find the internship and job you’re looking for.
- Resume writing classes
- Career assessments, exploration & planning
- Job search and networking opportunities
- and much more