Chris Brownell, Ph.D.
STEM Education, M.A.
School of Education
Explore STEM Education, M.A.
FPU's Master of Arts in Education with an Emphasis in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education prepares you as a K–8 teacher to better meet the needs of your students in these critical areas. You’ll be exposed to a wide variety of content, theory and methodology focusing on integrating math and science with each other and with the other STEM disciplines.
FPU's unique courses in engineering in the classroom will prepare you to teach the core concepts involved with the problems engineers face daily, as well as meeting the broad goals of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Prescribed program following a cohort model
- Opportunities for supported and individually-driven research with the AIMS Center for Math and Science Education at FPU
- Small class sizes
- Scholarships available for those who qualify
- Specially designed for K-8 teachers
- STEM Summer Engineering Festival
Manjula Joseph, Ph.D.
Program Director: Chris Brownell, Ph.D.
This program is designed to help teachers become better informed in the content areas included and integrated in STEM education. This program combines content area instruction, leading-edge methodology, with a research focus on the benefits of integration of topics. Students who complete this degree will be qualified to assume leadership roles in the K-8 school system in the fields that comprise STEM education.
- Application form and fee
- Official transcripts verifying BA/BS degree
- Orientation interview with program director
- Statement of Intent
- One current reference form
- Letter of explanation if GPA is under 3.0
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Explain mathematical, scientific and engineering results and arguments clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Solve engineering, scientific and mathematical problems using the appropriate technological tools.
- Use problem-solving skills strategically to solve real world problems in the STEM subjects through the creation of lessons that teach, encourage and assess these same skills in their students.
- Illustrate and describe the key concepts (number sense, place value, proportional reasoning, algebraic thinking, the four seasons, phases of the moon, force and motion, ecological elements etc.) underlying K-12 mathematics and science.
- Apply best practices for mathematics and science teaching and learning through the crafting of lessons for their classroom, and the critique of research literature.
- Analyze an instructional intervention and critique its practice in relation to educational theories through the completion of a master’s project showcasing knowledge gained.
Program Length/Semester Starts
The Master of Arts in STEM Education is a 30-36 month program and may be started in either the Summer or Fall semester.
Required Courses (30 Units)
- EGNE 700 - Engineering in the Classroom I: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- EGNE 705 - Engineering in the Classroom II: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- MTHE 743 - Arithmetic of Rational Number Systems: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- MTHE 751 - Informal Geometry: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- MTHE 753 - Concepts of Algebra: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- MTHE 755 - Probability and Statistics: Content and Pedagogy (Middle School Emphasis) Credits 2
- SCIE 762 - Earth Science: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- SCIE 763 - Physical Science: Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- SCIE 764 - Life Science Content and Pedagogy Credits 2
- SCIE 765 - Space Science: Content & Pedagogy Credits 2
- ED 779 - Values in School and Society Credits 3
- EDRH 794 - Thesis Introduction and Literature Review Credits 3
- EDRH 795 - Research Methods in Education Credits 3
- EDRH 796 - Thesis Completion Credits 1
With an FPU Education
The decision to embark on graduate studies is a big one. Our 40+ graduate programs will equip you to succeed in your career and in your life. You’ll become part of a small community of learners, thrive in a flexible learning environment and be challenged by a rigorous curriculum. Learn how much further you can go at FPU!
First Steps to Admission
- Apply online
- Submit 2-3 reference forms (Varies based on program of interest)
These can be filled out by academic or professional acquaintances familiar with your ability to complete graduate-level work. Print the reference form.
- Include statement of intent.
You can also provide an addendum explaining your interest in the program, any long-term goals and your experience in the field.
- Request official transcripts.
Transcripts must be from accredited institutions to verify your bachelor’s degree. Send transcripts electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail sealed transcripts to the Registrar’s Office at 1717 S. Chestnut Ave. Fresno, CA 93702.
- Complete program requirements.
These requirements are specific to your program of choice. You will be contacted for an interview and additional requirements if applicable.
- Apply for financial aid.
You can apply for FAFSA. Use FPU school code: 001253
- Schedule an appointment.
Meet with your Student Financial Services Advisor. You can contact them at 559-453-2041 | email@example.com.
- Orientation interview with program director
- One current professional reference form
Cost & Financial Aid
The below listed prices reflect the current and upcoming Fall and Spring semesters and do not include any financial aid. Paying for college can be an overwhelming step in education your journey. We can help you find all the opportunities to reduce your out of pocket costs.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition per Unit Amount 700 Level $705 Teacher Education $705 MBA $757* MSN and LEAD $720 KIN $570 Other Costs Amount Student services fee (per semester) $60 * Field Placement Fee (charged for both the international and regional trip semesters) $1,500
Tuition per Unit Amount 700 Level $690 Teacher Education $690 MBA $757* MSN and LEAD $710 KIN $560
* Fall 2020 & later cohorts
Other Costs Amount Student services fee (per semester) $60 * Field Placement Fee (charged for both the international and regional trip semesters) $1,500
* This is an estimate. Costs subject to change. Cost of attendance figures are used for budgeting purposes only and represent an estimate of projected tuition and fees for the coming academic year. Actual tuition rates are approved by the Board of Trustees and may vary.
Types of aid
Financial aid can refer to scholarships, grants and loans, which are available to you from the government, the university or outside sources. Aid types vary depending on the type of student you are.
As a graduate you will be prepared to enter resource positions in schools and districts, go on to further study and research opportunities, understand the goals and methods of integrating these four subjects in the classroom, and become a leader.
Career Development Happens Here
The staff in our Career Development and Experiential Learning Center are here to help you prepare to enter the working world. Whether your a freshman or an FPU alum, there are a number of resources and trainings offered to help you find the internship and job you’re looking for.
- Resume writing classes
- Career assessments, exploration & planning
- Job search and networking opportunities
- and much more