Cultivate Conference 2022
Cost & Admission:
Early bird registration is only $15 per attendee and ends February 19th. Registration includes the main sessions, breakout speakers, a t-shirt, lunch and snacks throughout the day. Youth Leaders bringing groups larger than 8, contact Wade French for possible youth leader ticket discounts at email@example.com. Don’t miss out on this 1-day event featuring engaging guest speakers, fun workshops, worship and more.
- 9:30 – 10:00 am – Check-In
- 10:00 – 11:00 am – Combined Session #1
- 11:10 –11:55 am –Breakout Session #1
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm – Lunch
- 1:10 – 1:55 pm – Breakout Session #2
- 2:05 – 2:50 pm – Breakout Session#3
- 3:00 – 3:50 pm – Team Debrief Time
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm – Combined Session #2
Fresno Pacific University and Central Valley Youth Network are proud to present the Cultivate Conference. This 1-day youth conference will take place on March 19, 2022 on FPU’s campus and will explore how youth groups can “Prepare to Serve”. Cultivate Conference will help high school students and youth leaders explore the “why?” around missions, equipping youth with the tools to better serve the Kingdom of God in our city and around the world.
- KEYNOTE: Marcus Marshall grew up in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area where he met the Lord during his junior year in high school in a radical way. Since then, he has had a passion to connect and reach the lost and help raise up the next generation. After moving from Washington, D.C., Marcus attended the Bethel School of Ministry in Redding, CA. The Lord then moved him to Tampa, Florida for five years to serve as an Outreach Pastor. In his free time he loves to play basketball, hang out with friends, and beat as many people as he can in board games.
- Meagan Bergem is the Pastor of Children and Youth at First Presbyterian Church of Fresno. She has loved doing youth ministry for over a decade and enjoys talking to people about the healing power of Jesus in the mess of life. Meagan enjoys spending time with her students, she can also be found climbing a mountain or playing volleyball.
- Taylor Starks is the Assistant Director of Spiritual Formation at Fresno Pacific University. She believes that God has connected each of us through the work of a missionary and it’s such a privilege to join in on this journey. Taylor know that mission work is so much more than where you go, it’s an opportunity to share a message of great love and hope. Taylor's first time out of the state was on a mission trip to Montrouis, Haiti.
- Randy and Angie Mewhirter have served Christ and His Kingdom, locally and worldwide, since before they met the summer of 1972. Randy has directed several local ministries including Care Fresno and Youth For Christ, as well as served worldwide as a couple with Operation Mobilization. We believe God is always at work, that all of life is ministry, an opportunity to step in and serve. Randy and Angie have served in 34 countries over 43-years.
- Sean Rafferty is the leadership pastor at Rocky Mountain Calvary in Colorado Springs and founder of the E4LIFE gap year initiative. Sean has traveled to over 40 countries leading teams on multiple mission trips and spent 7 years with his wife and family planting a church in Mexico.
- Scott Mac Neil loves seeing students experience God in a new and fresh way on mission trips. It allows them to discover their passion and how God can use their lives to impact their community and the world. When Scott is not hanging out with his wife, Melissa, and his daughter, Brooklyn, he watches a lot of basketball. Like an unhealthy amount of basketball.
- Rev. Vathanak Heang is the senior pastor of Memorial United Methodist Church of Clovis. His mission is to help people live life to the full in Christ. Rev. Vathanak never thought he was going to be a pastor. Never say never.
- Brandon Jackson is the Youth Ministry Co-Director at On Ramps Covenant Church. Brandon loves mission because it’s an opportunity to be an answered prayer as God's hands and feet. Brandon enjoys dance battles with his 3 daughters and currently holds the title as dance battle champion.
- Janice Line is the Youth and Discipleship pastor at Bethany church in Fresno. She has a deep desire to serve locally and abroad in living out the idea that we are not here to be served but to serve. Working in youth ministry has taught her that service/mission is anything from providing basic needs, to prayer, to water balloon fights, to leading people to Jesus. Service is loving people well, exactly where they are, as Jesus does.
- Darren Duerksen, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of Intercultural and Religious Studies at Fresno Pacific University where he teaches on Christian missions. He loves to explore new places, hike in the mountains, hang out at the beach, and make his own kombucha.
- Rebecca McMillen Ph.D., who grew up in Sydney, Australia, has always had an interest in other cultures, and world travel. Rebecca travelled to Guatemala when she was 19 for a short-term mission and lived there for 4 months learning the Spanish language by immersive learning. Rebecca believes that God has called all of us to tell others of His love and salvation. God has created us to live purpose-filled lives and He has given each of us creative gifts which He wants us to use to fulfill our calling.
- George Dougherty, D.M.A. currently serves as the Director of Bands and Coordinator of Instrumental Music at Fresno Pacific University and has served several churches as Minister of Music and traveled to Brazil, Slovakia, and the Central African Republic to work with missionaries as a music clinician and concert presenter. His wife Jennifer grew up in Africa as the daughter of career missionaries, and presently serves on the Council of Baptist Mid-Missions. Missions and music continue to be central themes in their lives and ministry.
- Karissa Liebe is the Discipleship and Outreach Pastor at Peoples Church. Her love and passion for mission’s began at a young age since she was raised in a mission’s family. On a mission trip in eighth grade, she felt called to full-time ministry and has since been pursuing that call. Karissa loves that missions allows us to live out Jesus’ heart to see all people know and be reconciled to him and loves that we get to be part of that! An interesting fact about Karissa is that she has never lived anywhere for longer than 5 years.
Resources for Students
Serve Fresno Serve Opportunities
Serving doesn’t always look one specific way! Check out the Serve Fresno Serve Opportunities page to find project and organization-based opportunities for you and your youth group.
Every Neighborhood Partnership Drive Tour
The Every Neighborhood Drive Tour provides audio tracks for you to listen to as you drive around the city. You’ll be exposed to new areas and ministries in the city of Fresno and have the opportunity to join the work that’s already being done.
Students International Devotions
Reflect on God’s word in Hebrews 11 and 2 Timothy as a team or by yourself. Thanks to Students International, you can download and print the devotions by clicking on the links below.
Peoples Church Breakaway
Peoples Church is hosting BreakAway’22, an annual Spring Break event from April 10-14, 2022. BreakAway has been inspiring junior high and high-school students from across the valley to serve the city of Fresno for over 10 years. Each day, nearly 400 students and leaders will partner with local organizations to participate in service projects across the city. Then each evening, we will gather together for worship and a powerful message.