- Office: McDonald Hall 216
- Ph.D., Art Education, University of New England, Armidale, Australia
- M.A., Art Education (Honors), College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2010
- M.A., Art Administration, College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2001
- B.A., Art History and Theory, College of Fine Arts, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2001
- B.A., Nursing, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia, 1996
My thoughts on art:
- Art challenges us to think outside the box, to explore alternative avenues than those normally travelled, to express ourselves creatively. Art is very much a part of our everyday lives, whether expressed in a painting on a wall, a three-dimensional sculpture, a website design, an architectural plan for a house or the design of a football team logo. All these things begin with a design and creative plan carried out by the skills which bring them into fruition. It is through artistic expression that we can face the challenges life throws at us in finding creative answers and solutions.
- Regardless of the career path that FPU students choose, being able to tap into and utilize one's creativity will serve students well for implementing all skills and areas of interest and expertise.
Publications & Presentations
- McMillen, R., McMillen. J., & Mahoney, M. (2017) The Intersection of Sport, Art & Public Disability Access: An Analysis of Best Practices, Fresno Pacific Journal.
- McMillen, R. (2017) Museum Marketing and Disability Access, International Journal of Business, Management and Commerce.
- McMillen, R. (2017) Social Media, Social Inclusion and Disability Access, Journal of Museums and Social Issues.
- "Museum Disability Access: Social Inclusion Opportunities Through Innovative New Media Practices," Fresno Pacific Journal, 2015.
- "The Inclusive Art Museum: Determining Disability Access," in The International Journal of the Inclusive Museum, 2012
- "Diverse Audiences: Disability Access and the Art Museum," in Fresno Pacific Journal, 2011
- "Sport Marketing and Trademark Law: Are the Dallas Cowboys Really 'America's Team?'" with J.D. McMillen in Sport Marketing Quarterly, 2009
- "Control of university sponsored sporting events - the conflict between sport artist's freedom of expression and university owned trademarks," with L.M. Benedict and J.D. McMillen in Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, Summer 2007
- "The Legal Aspects of Sport Sculpture," with J.D. McMillen, in Willamette Sports Law Journal, Spring 2005
- "Artists and Athletes: Balancing the First Amendment and the Right of Publicity in Sport Celebrity Portraits," with J.D. McMillen, in Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, Summer 2004
- "The Art of Sport Law," with J.D. McMillen, in Sport & Recreation Law Association Newsletter, March 2004
- "The Bedroom," a Student and Teacher Programs brochure published by the Department of Museum Education, Art Institute of Chicago, September 2001