B.S. in Biology: Secondary Teaching Emphasis
The B.S. in biology with a secondary teaching emphasis is designed for students who are interested in teaching secondary biology. The B.A. in biology also offers this emphasis.
General Education Prerequisites (12 Units)
- BIOL-110L General Biology: Cells and Physiology (4)
- CHEM-101L General Chemistry I (4)
- MATH-210 Calculus I (4)
Biology Courses (29 units)
- BIOL-120L General Biology: Diversity and Ecology (4)
- BIOL-310L Ecology (4)
- BIOL-332L Human Physiology (4)
- BIOL-370 Bioethics (3)
- BIOL-440L Cell and Molecular Biology (4)
- BIOL-450L Genetics (4)
- BIOL-470 History and Philosophy of Science (3)
- BIOL-485 Senior Seminar in Biology (1)
- BIOL-496 Biological Research (2)
Supporting Courses (14 units)
- CHEM-102L General Chemistry II (4)
- CHEM-310 Organic Chemistry I (3)
- MATH-311 Statistics for Natural Sciences (3)
- PHYS-120L General Physics I (4)
Required Courses for Secondary Teaching Emphasis
- LA-385 Critical Approaches to Teaching (3)
- PHYS-121L General Physics II (4)
- PHYS-150 Earth Science (3)
- PHYS-160 Space Science (3)
- Select 2 additional units of upper-division biology.
Additional Requirements for Teacher Education Candidates
To Enter a Teacher Education Program
Students must meet the following requirements in addition to the specific course requirements outlined above to enter a teacher education program and become credentialed to teach in a California public school:
- Pass the CSET Examination to demonstrate the subject matter competence required by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to be a teacher.
To Enter the Fresno Pacific University Teacher Education Program
Students must meet the following requirements to enter the teacher education program at FPU:
- Earn a 2.75 overall grade-point average in their college coursework.
- Earn a 3.0 grade-point average in the secondary teaching emphasis of their major.
To Complete the Fresno Pacific University Teacher Education Program
Students must complete the following courses (with a grade of C or better) in order to complete the teacher education program at FPU and receive a teaching credential. Students are advised, but not required, to take these courses as undergraduates.
- LANG-340 Introduction to Linguistics (3)
- PS-120 American Politics and Society (4)
- or HIST-150 American Civilization (4)
- PSY-355 Adolescent Development (3)
It is recommended that students complete one of the following courses, as well:
- HIST-420 American Ethnicity and Pluralism (3)
- SOC-310 Cultural Communities of California (3)