The Chaplaincy Certificate provides foundational training and preparation for a career as a chaplain. This certificate is designed to be embedded in an MDiv as well as for students who already hold a theological degree and would like to pursue a career in chaplaincy or those interested in a non-licensed role. This program was developed in collaboration with Clinical Pastoral Education of Central California (CPECC). This certificate outlines which courses should fill in the electives of the M.Div program while allowing for course substitutions including completing the first quarter of the CPECC chaplaincy program. Through getting a jumpstart on practical training with CPECC and academic training in Bible, theology, ministry, world religions and counseling, students are prepared for a career in chaplaincy ministering one-on-one with individuals in a variety of fields from hospitals and law enforcement to education and corporate settings.
- Prepares students for becoming a licensed chaplain
- Partnership with Clinical Pastoral Education Central California (CPECC)
- Graduates are eligible to apply to the Community Regional Medical Center’s chaplaincy internship program
- Therapy, Counseling, Religions of the World and Foundational Chaplaincy courses prepare students for success
- Online courses available
- Fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Ability to earn Chaplaincy Certificate simultaneously with Master of Divinity for two additional units
Brian Ross, D.Min.
Mark Baker, Ph.D.
Cynthia McGrady, Ph.D.
Adam Ghali, Ph.D.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Application form and fee: fpu.edu/applygrad
- Personal profile statement
- Three letters of references
- Writing sample
Required Courses (20 Units)
|THEO XXX||Religions of the World||3|
|MIN 750B||Cross-Cultural Counseling – Fresno||1.5|
|MIN 768||Serving Resiliently Through Crises and Trauma||2|
|MIN 793C||The Practice of Ministry III * CPE I||1.5|
|MIN 793D||The Practice of Ministry IV * CPE I||1.5|
|Code||Integration and Specialization||Units|
|COUN 724||Interpersonal Communication||2|
|COUN 726||Human Development||3|
|COUN 732||Aging/Long-Term Care||1|
|COUN 710||Intro to Counseling||1|
|MIN XXX||Orientation to Chaplaincy||1.5|
|COUN 738||Person, Family, Culture||2|
* Students do not need to take the Practice of Ministry series in order.