Our certificate in congregational care is designed for pastors and lay ministers who desire to provide pastoral counseling and other care ministries for their constituents. You'll gain the essentials for a wide range of ministry roles.
- Purposeful community of learners and leaders
- Experienced and published faculty
- Theologically diverse student body
- MFT and ministry students integrated in foundational courses
- Option to study in Israel each summer
- Option to attend the Hispanic Summer Program
- Diverse practicum opportunities
- Online courses available
- Fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
This certificate equips students for lay counseling in a church or other community setting.
David Bruce Rose, Ph.D.
Adam Ghali, Ph.D.
Cynthia McGrady, Ph.D.
Autumn Lindberg, Ph.D.
David Bruce Rose, Ph.D.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Online application and fee ($90)
- Personal profile questions
- Three letters of reference
- Writing sample
Required Courses (30-31 Units)
Biblical and Theological Studies
|BIB 720||The Church and God’s Mission in the World||3|
|BIB 725||Understanding, Interpreting and Teaching Scripture||2|
|THEO 730||Discipleship and Ethics||3|
|BIB 709||Bible Knowledge Requirement Seminar||0 – 0|
Bible elective 2 Units
|COUN 710||Introduction to Counseling||1|
|COUN 721||Professional Ethics in Counseling||3|
|COUN 728||Family Violence||1.5|
|COUN 760||Substance Abuse||1|
|COUN 768||Serving Resiliently Through Crises and Trauma||2 – 3|
|MIN 770||Ministry Discernment Credits||0 – 0|
Personal and Social Formation
|COUN 724||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|MIN 704||Discerning Vocation and Calling||1|
|MIN 714||Spirit, Character, and Transformation||2 – 3|
|Cross-Cultural Encounter: Los Angeles|
or Cross-Cultural Encounter: San Francisco
Choose 3 units from the following courses
|COUN 726||Human Development||3|
|COUN 732||Aging and Long-Term Care||1|
|COUN 736||Counseling Children||2|
|COUN 736L||Counseling Children Lab||1|
|COUN 752||Human Sexuality||3|
|COUN 747||Counseling Individuals and Couples: Modern Theories||2|
|COUN 747L||Counseling Individuals and Couples: Modern Theories Lab||1|
|COUN 748||Counseling Individuals and Couples: Postmodern Theories||1|
|COUN 756||Grief Counseling||1|
|PACS 700||Peacemaking Institute||2|