The Master of Arts in Old Testament provides you with specialized education of New Testament theology. The program focuses on the disciplines and resources of biblical interpretation allowing graduates to continue education on their own well after program completion.
- Purposeful community of learners and leaders
- Experienced and published faculty
- Theologically diverse student body
- MFT and ministry students integrated in foundational courses
- Option to study in Israel each summer
- Option to attend the Hispanic Summer Program
- Diverse practicum opportunities
- Online courses available
- Fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Graduating with a Master of Arts in Old Testament from Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary will prepare you for a future of teaching and writing in your area of expertise. Graduates teach at the collegiate level or in the church. The MAOT prepares you for a Ph.D. or other doctoral studies in a related field.
Lynn Jost, Ph.D.
Valerie Rempel, Ph.D.
Tim Geddert, Ph.D.
Brian Ross, D.Min.
Mark Baker, Ph.D.
- Commitment to and desire for Christian ministry and service
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Online application and fee ($90)
- Personal profile questions
- Three letters of reference
- Writing sample
Required Courses (60 Units)
|BIB 709||Bible Knowledge Requirement Seminar||0|
|BIB 715||Elementary Hebrew I||3|
|BIB 716||Elementary Hebrew II||3|
|BIB 720||The Church and God’s Mission in the World *||3|
|BIB 725||Understanding, Interpreting and Teaching Scripture***||2 - 3|
|BIB 750||Old Testament Theology **||3|
|MIN 704||Discerning Vocation and Calling *||1|
|MIN 750D||Cross-Cultural Encounter: San Francisco||1.5|
|THEO 712||The Story of the Church and Its Theology***||2 - 3|
Expanding the Base
|BIB 717||Intermediate Hebrew Exegesis||3|
|BIB 718||Advanced Hebrew Exegesis||3|
|BIB 726||Advanced Biblical Interpretation||2|
|BIB 752||New Testament Theology **||3|
|BIB 756||Old Testament Backgrounds||3|
|MIN 760||Practicum Assessment and Discernment||0|
|The Evangelical Anabaptist Story|
or Evangelical Anabaptist Confessions of Faith
or North American Religious History
|THEO 730||Discipleship and Ethics* ***||2 - 3|
Practicing the Theory
|Interpersonal Communication ***|
or Effective Contemporary Public Communication
|2 - 3 or|
|Church Educational Ministries|
or Preaching I
or Preaching for Contemporary Listeners
or The Practice of Ministry I and
The Practice of Ministry II
|Senior Seminar - Old Testament*|
3 - 6
3 - 6
|MIN 770OT||Ministry Discernment - Old Testament||0|
|Old Testament courses||6|
*Course must be FPU Biblical Seminary course.
**At least one biblical theology course must be FPU Biblical Seminary course.
***Must be taken as a 3 unit course