Spend six weeks traveling in China and Vietnam during the summer of 2019 and take two to three classes in fall 2019 semester learning about a fascinating and exotic region. You'll see some of the most beautiful landscape in the world and experience the history, religion, business and politics of this amazing part of the world!
During your time in the region you will:
- Travel throughout China including Beijing, Xian, Shangai, Sichuan Province and Nanjing.
- Travel through Vietnam including Hanoi, Hue, Danang and Hue.
- Learn about the history and religious diversity of both countries.
- Learn how people in this dynamic region do business.
- Walk the Great Wall of China and the narrow streets of Old Hanoi
- See 2,000-year-old terra-cotta warriors and see how Vietnam overcame multiple enemies
- Visit Hmong and other ethnic minority villages in Vietnam.
- Earn 4 – 10 units of FPU credit
- Fulfill G.E. Focus Series and obtain major/minor credit.
- Grow in your Christian walk and understanding of God’s call on your life.
- $2200 FPU China – Vietnam Summer-Fall Hybrid: Six week trip plus minimum required two Focus Series evening classes in Fall 2019
- HIS408: History and Politics of China and Vietnam
- SOC486: Religion and Culture of East and Southeast Asia
- $3000 FPU China only trip for students (3 weeks: May 30 - June 20) no classes in the Fall
- $2500 FPU Vietnam only trip for students (3 weeks: June 21 – July 14); no classes in the Fall
- $4000 FPU China and Vietnam six week trip for students (6 weeks: May 30 – July 14) no classes in the Fall
- $3800 FPU China only (3 weeks: May 30 – June 20) trip for alumni/staff
- $3300 FPU Vietnam only (3 weeks: June 21 – July 14) trip for alumni/staff
- $4800 FPU China-Vietnam six week trip (May 30 – July 14) for alumni /staff
Costs include R/T airfare from San Fran, all internal travel, lodging, most meals.
Cost does not include: passport, vaccinations, souvenirs.
Credit and Courses
Students may earn 4 to 10 units of credit from the program. Tentative course options include:
- History and Politics of Modern Asia**
- Religion and Culture of East Asia **
- International Business
- Cultural Geography of East Asia
**Taking History and Politics of Modern Asia and Religion and Culture of East Asia will fulfill the requirements of the G.E. Focus Series
Classes in the program can be adapted for a variety of majors including: business, intercultural studies, political science, history and liberal studies.
Dates and Schedule***
Complete Study Abroad Trip: May 30 – July 14
China: May 30 – June 20
Vietnam: June 21 – July 14
Fall 2019: Take 2 – 3 classes connected with trip that apply to Focus Series or major/minor
Places to See:
China: Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Nanchong, Nanjing, Shanghai
Vietnam: Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Sapa, Hue, Danang, Hoi An, Saigon, Mekong Delta
Applications for the China/Vietnam program are now closed. For more information please contact Ken Martens Friesen at email@example.com.
For more information contact:
- Ken Martens Friesen, Political Science/History at 559-453-7126 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
*Costs are approximate and are based on registering for a minimum of 7 units connected with the trip in Fall 2019. Those who don’t register for at least 7 units or who drop classes will be charged an additional $2000 (minimum). This price is for full-time traditional undergrad students. Degree Completion, part-time, alumni, staff, and others are welcome to also come on the summer trip for a reasonable additional amount.
*** Dates and details may be modified