Visit the tropical country of Colombia filled with incredible diversity and charm. Its ever-changing geography, a history loaded with mystery and challenges, its people and cultures are a few of the many amazing qualities that Colombia offers. Encounter the deep needs and challenges in learning about its history, the conflicts and effects of their civil war and the many models of peacemaking offered by Christian communities. We will visit and stay in the capitol city of Bogota, and visit its surrounding villages and cities. Students will have the unique opportunity to live with local families and be exposed to the everyday life of its people.
FPU is excited to partner with CASAS-Colombia & JustaPaz Seminary to offer the summer in Colombia Program 2015. During our time in Colombia you will:
- Study at the JustaPaz Seminary
- Experience learning both in the classroom and visit with organizations.
- Eat Colombian food and experience the culture, the arts and emerge in its language.
- Serve and learn alongside Colombian Mennonite Brethren (MB) ministry workers.
- Earn academic credit for a summer of study (Focus Series).
- Be enriched by the cross-cultural global experience of other narratives.
- Grow in your Christian walk and understanding of God’s call on your life.
We are still working on the cost of the trip, but at this point we anticipate it to range between $4000 - $4200. We are expecting an FPU scholarship for each of our participants ranging from $500-$1500 (pending). Students are also responsible for any additional costs for obtaining a passport, visa and vaccinations ($200-$500).
Credit and courses
SEMILLA, the Latin American Anabaptist Seminary of which CASAS is a department, offers credit in coursework to meet some or all the required coursework for the FPU Focus Series required for all undergraduate students. Students may earn a maximum of 6 units of credit from the program. Courses will include:
- History and Culture of Latin America (3)
- Building Peace in Settings of Conflict and Violence: The Colombian Case (3)
Deadline and Registration
Apply here for the Colombia Summer Study Abroad Program. This program is open to FPU traditional undergraduate students at a subsided rate and is also open to other students, staff and alumni. Applications should be submitted by December 15 to guarantee a spot but later submissions are welcome. After you apply the group leader will contact you about a downpayment and further details.
For more information, contact: