Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand Study Abroad
Vietnam (16 days)
Vietnam is more than a war, it is a beautiful and culturally rich Southeast Asian country. Join Ken Martens Friesen and another FPU faculty as they lead a group of students (alumni too!) through the spine of Vietnam, from the ancient capital of Hanoi, through the historic 19th century capital of Hue, to the multi-cultural trading center of Hoi An, and finally down to the modern and elegant ‘pearl of the orient,’ Ho Chi Minh City. The 14 days spent will be a rich and deep dive in the history, culture, economics, and politics of this very unique and bustling Southeast Asian state.
Cambodia and Thailand (10 days)
An optional ten day extension will be to stay with the group as we explore neighboring Cambodia and Thailand.. In Cambodia the ancient Khmer Empire has the glory of golden Buddhist temples and palaces, including the fantastic Angkor Wat, a World Heritage site and once a 15th century sprawling empire. Also in its history is a very dark period of the Khmer Rouge, a totalitarian regime that murdered almost a third of its own people. We’ll visit palaces and prisons, sites of splendor and scenes of unspeakable horror.
In Thailand we’ll extend the theme of the blending of Buddhist cultural as we explore the magnificent temples and modern wonders that make up Bangkok. From the maze of canals that help provide transport to millions of Thai to the lush jungles and coffee plantations outside the capital city, Thailand provides a fascinating experience for those who want to understand and explore a totally different and very unique Southeast Asia nation.
Approximately June 20 - July 15
- Depart from Fresno Sunday, June 20
- Arrive Hanoi Tuesday, June 22
- Travel through Vietnam June 22 – July 5
- (Optional return to U.S. July 4)
- Travel through Cambodia July 5 – 10
- Travel through Thailand July 10- 15
- Return to Fresno Wednesday July 15
The cost of the trip will be approximately $2300 for the Vietnam portion, including round trip airfare, all housing, most meals, internal transportation, entrance tickets and English speaking guide. The Cambodia and Thailand portion will be approximately $700 extra. Student scholarships of $500 will likely be available but may be limited to the first ten to apply and put down a $100 deposit. Students will be responsible for any additional costs for a passport and vaccinations required for the trip. ($200- $500).
Credit and Courses
Students will be able to get full Focus Series credit for the trip. This can be done by
- REL488. Religion and Culture of Vietnam (3 units) offered in Summer 23 as part of the trip
- ICS304 Vietnam Study Abroad (1 unit). Register in Spring 23
Deadline and Application
- January 15, 2023. Non-refundable deposit for airline tickets of $1000
- February 1, 2023 Apply for U.S. passport
- May 1, 2023 Balance of fees for Vietnam (and Cambodia/Thailand) portion of trip.
- June 20, 2023 Depart for Vietnam