Reports to: Director of Athletics
Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly
Time commitment: 40 hours per week
Start date: ASAP
The Administrative Assistant reports to the Director of Athletics. The Administrative Assistant to the Department of Athletics is responsible for assisting in developing, maintaining and implementing a highly efficient, organized, and professional Department of Athletics.
- Uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University at all times.
- Continuous commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with other staff members, students and guests.
- Provides administrative and operational support to the Department of Athletics.
- Assists with developing and maintaining front office procedures, filing and organizational systems.
- Assists with the internal functions of the athletics front office; setting priorities, delegating, and coordinating projects & tasks as needed.
- Schedules, attends, takes minutes, and distributes meeting materials for administrative meetings, department of athletics meetings, as well as Intercollegiate Athletics Advisory Council (IAAC) meetings.
- Answers incoming calls from the NCAA, Pacific West Conference, other institutions, student-athletes, parents, alumni and the community. Screens and refers inquiries for athletics administration.
- Manages the Director of Athletics’ calendar, making travel and meeting arrangements as needed.
- Composes memos, letters and documents as needed.
- Assists with and manages transportation arrangements for FPU’s intercollegiate athletics teams as needed.
- Reserves facilities for athletics events and meetings, as needed.
- Assists in coordinating banquets, fundraising events and regional and national tournaments hosted by FPU Athletics, as needed.
- Assists the Associate A.D. in coordinating search committees for new hires. Serves as the first point of contact for incoming staff members; on-boards, trains, and continues to provide administrative support as needed.
- Works closely with the Business Office and Advancement Office for Department of Athletics transactions.
- Orders and inventories all office supplies necessary for proper function of the athletics front office.
- Coordinates with the Associate A.D. to create, print, distribute, and maintain all athletics game contracts with other institutions.
- Represents the university in a positive manner and maintains professional relationships with students, faculty, staff, and guests.
- Monitors the completion of all required staff trainings including CPR, first aid, Title IX, sexual harassment etc.
- Hires, trains and supervises student assistants for the front office
- Tracks information from other university departments and ensures it is thoroughly communicated to athletics administration.
- Works with senior athletics administration in the development of annual conference and NCAA reports.
- Assists with the scheduling and coordination of athletics summer camps as needed
- Other duties as assigned by senior athletics administration.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated organizational capabilities, detail orientation and the ability to handle multiple proprieties and complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Ability to interact with people in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond to changes in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Employment contingent on a background check.
- Demonstrated successful administrative assistant experience.
- Experience in a higher education or athletics environment.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, section 125 options, tuition waiver, life and disability insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan.
Send completed applications to
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Department of Athletics description
Fresno Pacific University is currently a provisional member of NCAA Division II and a full, championship-eligible member of the NCAA Division II Pacific West Conference. The athletics program fields 14 intercollegiate sports involving over 300 student-athletes and has consistently been recognized at the national level. FPU is committed to the NCAA Division II "Life in the Balance" philosophy and the NCAA Division II Strategic Positioning Platform with intercollegiate athletics playing an integral role in the total development of the student-athlete. For more information about Sunbird Athletics, visit fpuathletics.com.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.