Reports to: Director of Athletics
Time commitment: 40+ hours per week, includes nights and weekends
Start date: TBD
The Assistant Athletics Director for External Relations reports to the Director of Athletics and is responsible for the overall development and implementation of the institution’s athletics external relations and fundraising. The position also serves as the director of the Sunbird Club. Other responsibilities include enhancing the department’s visibility in the community, collaborating with University Advancement and other departments on campus, playing a lead role in athletics marketing, helping to promote major annual athletic events and serving on the FPU Athletics administrative leadership team.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students and guests.
- Works with the Director of Athletics in setting goals and objectives for the Department of Athletics fundraising efforts in a manner consistent with the FPU Strategic Plan for Athletics.
- Works in conjunction with the University Advancement Office on all athletic-related fund development and marketing activities.
- Actively works with the Director of Athletics in direct fundraising activities including university capital campaigns that include athletic interests.
- Develops and administers the business sponsorship program for FPU Athletics at all athletic events.
- In conjunction with the compliance office provides NCAA rules education for athletic program and donor support groups.
- Serves as the Director of the Sunbird Club and is responsible for facilitating all aspects of leadership and fundraising alongside the Director of Athletics.
- Develops and implements plans to increase Sunbird Club membership.
- Implements marketing plans and promotes the FPU brand in an effort to increase attendance, generate revenue and maximize the game-day fan experience.
- Establishes and implements procedures for sale and distribution of athletics season ticket, single game and group sales campaigns to achieve departmental goals.
- Assists in the successful execution of corporate sponsorship elements in conjunction with University Advancement
- While collaborating with University Advancement, actively seeks to engage and develop new relationships in the surrounding community to grow exposure and affinity for Fresno Pacific Athletics.
- Works to enhance alumni relations through promoting and coordinating alumni games & fundraising events.
- Oversees graduate assistants, student workers and/or volunteers that assist in overall external relations efforts.
- In collaboration with the Director of Athletics, represents the Sunbird Club at athletic and community events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Demonstrated personal Christian faith and commitment to the Christian mission of the University.
- Experience in collegiate, professional or corporate external relations, fundraising, marketing, and/or sales.
- Effective professional, organizational and interpersonal communication skills. Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Self-directed and motivated
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects effectively.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution
- Fundraising experience at the intercollegiate level
- Prior experience in a higher education environment
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Department of Athletics description
Fresno Pacific University is currently a provisional member of NCAA Division II and a full, championship-eligible member of the NCAA Division II Pacific West Conference. The athletics program fields 14 intercollegiate sports involving over 300 student-athletes and has consistently been recognized at the national level. FPU is committed to the NCAA Division II "Life in the Balance" philosophy and the NCAA Division II Strategic Positioning Platform with intercollegiate athletics playing an integral role in the total development of the student-athlete. For more information about Sunbird Athletics, visit fpuathletics.com.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.