Reports to: Assistant Athletics Director for External Relations
Time commitment: 40+ hours per week; 12 month contract
Start date: TBD
The Director of Athletics Communications reports to the Assistant Athletics Director for External Relations. The Director of Athletics Communications is responsible for all aspects of communications, electronic media production, media relations and sports information relating to the University’s 15 intercollegiate sports: baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s track & field, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s swimming, women’s tennis, women’s volleyball and men’s & women’s water polo.
- Be in agreement with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of Fresno Pacific University.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students and guests.
- Oversees all aspects of communications and media relations for the Department of Athletics.
- Handles day-to-day media responsibilities for 15 intercollegiate sport programs
- Coordinates media activities in conjunction with the University Communications Department.
- Serves as on-campus host for all intercollegiate athletic events and coordinates media coverage for those events.
- Distributes sports information and serves as liaison to local, state and national media (print, TV, radio, online).
- Writes, designs and oversees production of game programs and other promotional publications for athletics.
- Maintains the official Department of Athletics website (fpuathletics.com). Prepares news releases and feature articles.
- Oversees all athletics social media and works to promote FPU Athletics by managing all content on the department’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts.
- Writes and/or edits all press releases from the department
- Provides media coverage of all athletics contests, home and away, in conjunction with the Assistant Director. Coordinates with the Assistant Director to attend and/or help oversee approximately 100 home events per year.
- Uses statistical software to keep NCAA-mandated stats and oversees official reporting of all contests to the NCAA
- Nominates and promotes student-athletes, as well as the university as a whole, for various athletic, academic and miscellaneous awards and honors.
- Works with Assistant A.D. for External Relations to coordinate fundraising materials and promotion of alumni events.
- Maintains athletics records and statistical files. Submits statistical records on time, in accordance with NCAA and conference requirements.
- Supervises the Assistant Director of Athletics Communications and schedules personnel to work at athletic events.
- Works closely with the Assistant A.D. for Compliance to monitor student-athletes’ participation as required by the NCAA.
- Assists athletics staff in promoting game-day initiatives and accommodating the needs of visiting teams.
- Works with the Assistant A.D. for Event Operations to coordinate set-up and production of athletics events.
- Builds relationships with local media and works to gain exposure for the university.
- Hires, trains and supervises student workers and interns in skilled positions
- Serves as liaison with University Communications, Marketing, Residence Life, Student Life, Admissions, Advancement and other departments as needed.
- Serves as liaison to the Pacific West Conference and NCAA national offices
- Writes and distributes Athletics Newsletters
- Oversees all graphic design for the department including all promotional materials
- Oversees all photography and use of photos
- Oversees department video needs and all video editing
- Oversees production of play-by-play broadcasts for select home events
- Oversees all printed publications for the department
- Collects information on all athletics summer camps and facilitates online registration
- Maintains archives, records and history of FPU Athletics
- Conducts press conferences for major athletics events
- Assists in maintaining university brand consistency, as well as correct usage of all trademarked logos
- Serves as Sports Editor for the University’s Pacific Magazine
- Provides social media education to student-athletes and coaches
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant A.D. for External Relations and/or the Director of Athletics
- An expressed personal Christian commitment and support of the Christian mission of the University.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Sport Management, Kinesiology or related field.
- Previous experience in sports information or applicable sports media.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on strict deadlines.
- Experience in social media and online promotions.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Basic understanding of Statcrew software.
- Expressed commitment to NCAA legislation and compliance.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Experience in video editing and/or play-by-play broadcasting.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word.
- Experience in graphic design and/or sports photography.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Department of Athletics description
Fresno Pacific University is currently a provisional member of NCAA Division II and a full, championship-eligible member of the NCAA Division II Pacific West Conference. The athletics program fields 14 intercollegiate sports involving over 300 student-athletes and has consistently been recognized at the national level. FPU is committed to the NCAA Division II "Life in the Balance" philosophy and the NCAA Division II Strategic Positioning Platform with intercollegiate athletics playing an integral role in the total development of the student-athlete. For more information about Sunbird Athletics, visit fpuathletics.com.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.