Reports to: Vice President for Advancement & Executive Director of the FPU Foundation
Time commitment: Full-time (40 hours per week minimum)
The Director of Public Relations & Community Engagement shall provide visionary leadership and assume responsibility for university public relations and internal communications; shall provide strategic leadership and administrative oversight for university community engagement; and shall regularly monitor and inform university leadership regarding current legislative matters of interest to the university.
Serving the needs of the campus community and in collaboration with university constituents, this position is responsible for the coordination of all university external communications not directly related to university marketing efforts: university publications, university web site, university switchboard, public relations, news releases, press releases and announcements using appropriate media channels, interface with media regarding events or university news and monitoring social media for university-related messaging. This position will also develop and administer effective strategies for university communications to staff, faculty, administration, and the Board of Trustees. Additionally, this position shall develop the vision and provide leadership and administrative oversight for university community engagement including commencement, forums and conferences. Finally, this position shall regularly monitor legislative matters and proposals of interest to the university and shall inform university leadership of legislative developments of interest to the university.
- Be Christ-centered in all areas while working with staff, faculty, students or any person or organization in the course of representing the university.
- Always uphold the “Founded on Christ” mission of Fresno Pacific University
- Unfaltering commitment to the “The Fresno Pacific University Idea” and agreement to support its ideals and practices while employed by the University.
- Agree with the university's Confession of Faith, have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, be active in the life of the church, and live a life consistent with a commitment to the Lordship of Christ.
- Model accepted standards and ethics of professional fundraising.
- Develop and administer an effective communications strategy for the campus community including satellite campuses: students, faculty, staff, administration and Board of Trustees.
- Develop and administer communications strategies for external communications channels including the university switchboards.
- Proactively develop current stories to pitch to the media showcasing FPU successes.
- Provide visionary leadership and administrative oversight to the development, monitoring and continual improvement of the university website in consultation with university marketing and communications and executive university leadership.
- Collaborate with University Marketing as they develop the university marketing brand.
- Provide visionary leadership, oversight and coordinate effective collaboration for university publications including Pacific Magazine.
- Maintain continuous monitoring of media and social media messaging and quickly develop responses to negative messages in a manner that shapes the narrative.
- Develop and maintain a communications strategy for placement of press releases, announcements, news or university updates in appropriate media channels.
- Manage the communication of any crisis situation on any of our campuses; manage communications with the campus and the public. Develop press releases as appropriate, develop communications on social media channels as needed, and communicate to university administration and the campus community as needed.
- Field questions from the public regarding press releases or other public announcements.
- Collaborate with university advancement and university marketing to develop communication strategies to support various campus events.
- Develop the vision and provide administrative oversight for community engagement opportunities including commencement, convocations, university forums and events.
- Regularly monitor legislative proposals and conversations of interest to the university in the political or legislative arena and report on such matters to university leadership.
- Commitment to the Christian mission of the University.
- Graduate degree preferred, or bachelor’s degree with related professional experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of public relations or communications experience preferred.
- Strong writing and editing skills and excellent oral communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong relationship building skills capable of interacting with potential and major donors.
- Proven expertise working collaboratively with a diverse range of constituents: staff, board, faculty, students, alumni, denominational, civic and corporate leaders, and friends of the university.
- Proficient in using standard office software, such as WORD, POWERPOINT, EXCEL and OUTLOOK.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Event planning and organizing experience preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage multiple tasks consecutively.
- Customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively and in a warm, professional manner.
- Ability to respond to emotional employee situations in a calming and resilient manner.
- Demonstrated management capabilities.
- Ability to travel as necessary for out-of-town appointments, meetings and conferences.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations, and temperature changes at least eighty percent (80%) of the time.
- Frequent computer use at workstation, up to eight hours per day.
- Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions.
- Drive personal or university vehicle to appointments.
- Public contact position requiring professional apparel, personal hygiene and grooming.
- Attendance and punctuality.
- Mobility within the office. Ability to walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs. Ability to use hands and fingers, to handle office equipment, records and files. Occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel or crouch. Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Vision adequate to read and discern written errors on paper and electronic documents
- Valid California driver’s license and ability to drive to various appointments.
- Ability to talk and hear clearly.
- Ability to quickly formulate and articulate thoughts in response to questions.
- Ability to speak clearly.
Pay is based upon qualifications and experience.
Download and complete an application form. Candidates must complete and submit an application in order to be considered for the position.
Send completed applications to:
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.