Reports to: Dean of the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science
Status: Tenure-track position (formerly continuing status track)
Time commitment: Full-time; 11-month faculty position
Start date: July 1, 2021
Psychology is a vibrant, rapidly growing major situated within the School of Humanities, Religion, and Social Science at Fresno Pacific University. Our faculty members are known for engagement with students and communities. The psychology program encourages scholarly research that challenges and empowers students to engage with people who are at-risk, underserved, or marginalized.
The Department of Psychology is looking for applicants with skills and interests consistent with undergraduate instruction at a liberal arts university. The program emphasizes general knowledge in psychology, preparation of students for graduate school, interdisciplinary integration, and applied research.
- Pursue an active scholarly agenda.
- Mentor and advise psychology majors (as well as general education students).
- The faculty member may teach courses such as Introduction to Psychology, Psychology of Personality, Research Methods, Community Psychology, Cross-Cultural Psychology, and Counseling.
- Demonstrate commitment to departmental, university, and community service.
- Doctorate (or ABD) in Psychology; preference will be given to applicants specializing in clinical, organizational, cross-cultural or community psychology. In some circumstances, candidates with teaching experience and a master’s degree may be considered with the expectation of continuing doctoral work as appropriate to the discipline.
- Desire to mentor undergraduate research in discipline.
- Commitment to undergraduate instruction.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement.
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
- Commitment to dialogue between psychology and Christian faith.
- Demonstrated college-level teaching ability.
- Evidence of scholarly achievement (quantitative or qualitative).
- Membership in a Mennonite Brethren or Anabaptist congregation, or affiliation with a historic peace church.
Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
A link to the application is available below.
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:Dr. Ron Herms
Fresno Pacific University
School of HRSS, Box 2301
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email HRSS@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University offers undergraduate and graduate programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation. Some 4,000 traditional and adult students attend classes on the main campus in southeast Fresno or centers in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 10,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 44 percent, and is one of the top 10 HSIs nationally in graduating Hispanic students. The Valley’s only comprehensive Christian university granting master’s degrees, the university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific University Idea.
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.
The university reserves the right to fill positions before the application deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances may warrant.